PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/02/18 05:23 PM
Here's a backing track made with BIAB. The bass track is missing- that was played live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kctbm65HXu8&feature=youtu.be

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/02/18 06:27 PM
One of my favorite songs. Excellent job. You should maybe comment on YouTube the bass was left out and played live because this was done as a performance track. This is a very good cover.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/02/18 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
One of my favorite songs. Excellent job. You should maybe comment on YouTube the bass was left out and played live because this was done as a performance track. This is a very good cover.

Thanks Charlie. I just posted that in response to a comment that BIAB is just a songwriter's tool, and no good for covers. (In the Beginner's forum.)

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/05/18 08:40 PM
Well done, Mr. Burke.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/06/18 11:34 AM
Thanks very much floyd. It shows what can be done with BAIB, a "Songwriter's tool." grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/06/18 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Thanks Charlie. I just posted that in response to a comment that BIAB is just a songwriter's tool, and no good for covers. (In the Beginner's forum.)

Regards,

Bob

Good job, Bob!

If I may weigh in on the topic: BIAB is as capable as the person using it. For somebody of your experience with the software, knowledge of music, and ability to play some parts (or arrange MIDI) in order to get the signature passages, BIAB is indeed capable of creating great sounding covers.

But its worth noting that there are people buying BIAB with the expectation of entering chords, pressing a button and getting a note for note rendition of a pop standard. That ain't gonna happen.

I recently got a PM from somebody who felt he had been duped into buying BIAB based on forum discussion about how well it creates cover songs.

For the sake of all potential customers of varying skill level, it is reasonable to provide full disclosure about how much editing was required to get a good sounding cover.

Listening to your song, I am impressed by how much of it is "right out of the box", but it still took some performance skill on your part along with some MIDI arranging and audio editing to transform BIAB output to what we just heard.

Once people are aware of that, they can decide for themselves if its the right tool for THEM to create cover songs.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/06/18 01:07 PM
Quote:
But its worth noting that there are people buying BIAB with the expectation of entering chords, pressing a button and getting a note for note rendition of a pop standard. That ain't gonna happen.

Wait, are you telling me that I can't just type the title (say, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling") and BIAB won't just play an exact rendition of the Righteous Brothers accompaniment, regardless of the style I select? Or intuitively know that I actually wanted the Hall and Oates version instead? And it doesn't correct my chord chart to fix the chords I entered incorrectly? Are you telling me that? I'm so disappointed. frown
Posted By: 90 dB Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/06/18 03:13 PM
“If I may weigh in on the topic: BIAB is as capable as the person using it. For somebody of your experience with the software, knowledge of music, and ability to play some parts (or arrange MIDI) in order to get the signature passages, BIAB is indeed capable of creating great sounding covers.”

Pat,

This was just to showcase what can be done with a cover in BIAB. It's base is in BIAB, merely embellished with some MIDI orchestration. One could just as well play the song without the MIDI, for a more acoustic feel. It still has all the feel of the original.

“But its worth noting that there are people buying BIAB with the expectation of entering chords, pressing a button and getting a note for note rendition of a pop standard. That ain't gonna happen.

I recently got a PM from somebody who felt he had been duped into buying BIAB based on forum discussion about how well it creates cover songs.”

My recollection is most people actually say that you can get close, but not note for note. Most of our material is BIAB tracks, everything from The Beatles to George Jones, and no- it doesn't sound 'just like the record', but I don't want it to- it's a cover.

As for the person you “duped”; did it take him 30 days to discover that fact? Blaming you when there is a 30-day warranty is a bit lame. grin

“For the sake of all potential customers of varying skill level, it is reasonable to provide full disclosure about how much editing was required to get a good sounding cover.

Listening to your song, I am impressed by how much of it is "right out of the box", but it still took some performance skill on your part along with some MIDI arranging and audio editing to transform BIAB output to what we just heard.

Once people are aware of that, they can decide for themselves if its the right tool for THEM to create cover songs.”

I ain't no MIDI guru. If I can do it, anyone can. A decent string library and BIAB and Bob's yer uncle!

Regards,

Bob

Posted By: Pat Marr Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 02/07/18 10:16 AM
As follow-up to my previous post (which was sort of a "point-counterpoint" addendum to the topic) I feel compelled to reinforce Bob's original point about BIAB being more than capable of creating tracks for cover songs.

Anybody who is using music creation software to record covers needs to address the signature licks one way or another. They also have to address the background instruments.

BIAB stands alone in its ability to generate the basic background tracks in just about any style. So if the alternative plan is to record ALL of the tracks in Pro Tools, then BIAB just made the job a lot easier by taking care of the backing tracks. With or without BIAB, creating note for note reproductions is going to require some MIDI or performed tracks.

People who can't play the signature riffs or combine MIDI with BIAB output have two options:

1) embrace their own version of the song and stop worrying about the signature licks

2) resort to karaoke tracks

I've done both. Building a good sounding cover in BIAB is much more satisfying, but it does take longer and requires more skill.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: BIAB ON YOUTUBE - 03/09/18 01:07 PM
Great work on this, Bob! This really showcases what Band-in-a-Box is capable of, as others have mentioned smile Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums