PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Beginners question - 12/08/16 02:05 AM
Ok so here's a real beginners question.
Why is it that when I click a part marker to presumably change a drum beat say on the 4th bar, it shadows out the next bar as well as after bar 32 for 3 bars after that??
Its all good when I change the marker on the first bar on any line.
I understand it will not alter the sequence of the song buts makes it harder to produce. Am I doing something wrong here?

Cheers
Posted By: RichardWilliams Re: Beginners question - 12/08/16 02:23 AM
Hi,
The help file under Part Markers explains this better than I could:

"When you’re reading a book, a new section begins on a new line, with space between. Band-in-a-Box does that for chords too. Whenever a new section occurs (a part marker), we start the new section on a new line and draw a grey line above to clearly mark the new section. You’ll see each section on a new line so that the form of the song is easier to see.

For example, if you have a song with a 7-bar section, followed by 8-bar sections, earlier versions of Band-in-a-Box wouldn’t start the other sections on a new line. The result was that it was hard to delineate the sections, as if an entire story was told within one paragraph."

You can prevent this behavior by clicking Options then Preferences then Display. Remove the tick from the box labelled "New Line For Every Section"

Regards,
Posted By: wish Re: Beginners question - 12/08/16 03:06 AM
Thanks Richard, will work on that.
Cheers
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Beginners question - 12/08/16 04:34 PM
There are a few options that can be set there, too. Experiment.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Beginners question - 12/09/16 10:34 AM
One tip if you only want to change the drum beat pattern, rather than place a marker, right click on the bar number and select another pattern. A red line will appear beneath the number indicating you have made a change, but there will not be a marker placed. Many styles have multiple patterns to choose between and makes your drums more versatile.

Charlie
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Beginners question - 12/09/16 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the great answers guys.
Posted By: wish Re: Beginners question - 12/09/16 07:24 PM
Thanks again, I have a few more questions but trying to read with difficulty the small typed manual first. Like the idea of the alternate drum beat procedure.
© PG Music Forums