PG Music Home
Posted By: NateMan Transpose audio but not Notation? - 12/19/16 06:01 PM
I am a Guitarist and I tune down a whole step to accommodate my voice yet keep the chord voicing I like to play. BIAB 2017 seems close to supplying about any feature you can think of. I there a way to transpose the song instruments but not the chord notation so as to play what I read with my tuned down guitar?

Thanks ahead!

-Nathan
Posted By: Tobias Re: Transpose audio but not Notation? - 12/19/16 06:21 PM
Just an idea; try running to instances of BIAB. Lower the volume on the one with your notation not transposed and view that one. Listen to the one with your chords (and notation) transposed but minimize that window.
Maybe someone else has a better idea.
This also works when I use a capo but follow an chart with open chord voicings.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Transpose audio but not Notation? - 12/19/16 06:38 PM
Nate,

BIAB will do this for you. It's called visual transpose. Have a look at my post in the below thread.

visually transposing guitar

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Transpose audio but not Notation? - 12/20/16 12:41 AM
))) I am a Guitarist and I tune down a whole step to accommodate my voice yet keep the chord voicing I like to play.

You're in good company. I think Paul McCartney did that on Yesterday - played it in G tuned down 2 semitones so heard in F.

Yes, you can do this in BIAB by using the display button and choose to transpose. We have capo settings, and in your case it's a "negative capo" you want, and we call that "tuned down 2 semitones"

If you do that, If you enter a C chord, it will display as C, but play as Bb. This is the same situation as a tenor saxophone or trumpet, and it works well.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Transpose audio but not Notation? - 12/20/16 02:15 AM
Huh, I was not aware of that feature either. I'll have to try it.
Posted By: NateMan Re: Transpose audio but not Notation? - 12/20/16 05:29 PM

In the words of Jed Clampett.... Wellll Doggies... Thare is two ways to skin that cat... LOL

Anyway both methods effectively do the same thing. I like Noel's method... though his pic is of an older version. The "Ch.Display" is under the "Views" tab in the upper left and then look to the left in 2017 version.

Thanks Gents!
© PG Music Forums