PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/29/16 05:55 PM
You may find this diagram helpful. This gives you a general idea of how sound is routed in Band-in-a-Box®

Posted By: jford Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/29/16 06:15 PM
Nice!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/29/16 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
You may find this diagram helpful. This gives you a general idea of how sound is routed in Band-in-a-Box®

No picture, mike!
Ian
Posted By: jford Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/29/16 06:55 PM
You have to click on the word "diagram" to see it.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/29/16 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
You have to click on the word "diagram" to see it.

Thanks John, with my bad eyes I couldnt see the colour difference. Lmao! cool crazy
Very informative.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: rharv Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/29/16 08:52 PM
That link color really is a poor color choice .. and it is the default for the forum.
Someone should tell Andrew ..

/this was meant as a reply to Ian
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/30/16 01:57 PM
Bob, I saw your request about this but didn't understand it. In the first post here, I see the diagram and there is no link at all; perhaps pghboemike changed it?

EDIT: I see he edited the post...

pghboemike, really nice! A suggestion: consider adding "including SuperTracks" to the MIDI tracks box?
Posted By: pghboemike Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/30/16 08:59 PM
sorry can't claim credit for the illustration
http://www.pgmusic.com/gfx/bbw_how_sound_is_heard.png unfortunately i can't remember where it was
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 12/31/16 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
sorry can't claim credit for the illustration
http://www.pgmusic.com/gfx/bbw_how_sound_is_heard.png unfortunately i can't remember where it was

My memory might be wrong but I believe rharv created the drawing.
Posted By: rharv Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/01/17 11:52 AM
I've done drawings on routing in previous posts (thanks for remembering) but I don't think I did that one.

Funny the things we may be remembered for someday ..
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/01/17 02:21 PM
So does this mean that I can the MIDI out on my Focusrite to my drum machine MIDI in and RB will play those Real Drums with my drum machine sounds by sending MIDI note on messages to the drum machine?

Can I make RB play ANY source of MIDI drums? Like if I import that track into Pro Tools and set up a Steven Slate drum kit, would that track play with the Slate drum sounds?
Posted By: rharv Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/01/17 02:41 PM
Quote:
So does this mean that I can the MIDI out on my Focusrite to my drum machine MIDI in and RB will play those Real Drums with my drum machine sounds by sending MIDI note on messages to the drum machine?

'Realdrums' usually aren't MIDI, but if you do have MIDI drums to work with,
sure you can; just make sure to route the audio from the drum machine back in to RB .. easy!

Quote:
Can I make RB play ANY source of MIDI drums? Like if I import that track into Pro Tools and set up a Steven Slate drum kit, would that track play with the Slate drum sounds?

Again, if MIDI, yes. I can use the Slate drums right inside RB without Protools, so I would expect ProTools could handle it (grin).
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/03/17 12:05 AM
Harv, I am trying to not have to tap the drums in on a controller. I was hoping that whatever drums RB created sent the corresponding MIDI note numbers out to an external device. I am THE worst at tapping drums on a keyboard. I can't really think like a drummer.
Posted By: jford Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/03/17 04:39 PM
Nope, the link was originally there, but blended in with the rest of the text (as RHARV said, the default). When I post links (especially the ones with text wrapped around it, I will always try to make the link bolded to ensure you can see it.
Posted By: rharv Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/04/17 09:53 PM
Quote:
Harv, I am trying to not have to tap the drums in on a controller. I was hoping that whatever drums RB created sent the corresponding MIDI note numbers out to an external device. I am THE worst at tapping drums on a keyboard. I can't really think like a drummer.

Whatever (MIDI) drums RB creates will indeed send the corresponding note numbers (and MIDI channel, and velocity, and duration, and CC's, even SYSEX etc).

You shouldn't have to tap any notes.
How are you using the Slate drum sounds (which VSTi or whatever and which software)?

Most likely cause of the problem would be that RB's MIDI note numbers and channels are using the GM conventional mapping and maybe the synth isn't doing so.
RB tries to use conventional standards to make things easy but some software/plugins refuse to participate.
There are a few drum synths out there that just simply do not support normal conventions.
I have no idea why.

Again though; if you are using Realdrums, these are not MIDI. They are audio.
That's about the only situation where I could see RB not providing the expected data.
Otherwise the problem is likely on the other end.

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/04/17 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
You shouldn't have to tap any notes. How are you using the Slate drum sounds (which VSTi or whatever and which software)?

There's the rub. The plug ins for Pro Tools at not VSTs. They are AAX. I would need the drum track to me MIDI rather than audio so the Slate drums would be reading MIDI note numbers. Doesn't sound like it's going to work that way.

Most likely cause of the problem would be that RB's MIDI note numbers and channels are using the GM conventional mapping and maybe the synth isn't doing so.

This idea was going to be tested on my Roland TR-707 drum machine, which I know 100% uses industry standard note number assignments.

However, since
if you are using Realdrums, these are not MIDI. They are audio.
this all becomes moot. After looking at that diagram I thought that Real Drums were MIDI events "underneath" the audio and plugging up via MIDI would trigger a drum machine.

Because of the shallow depth of how I use RB I never went too deeply into the various "Reals". I never really looked at or considered what "realdrums" are. It's kind of like McDonald's where everything is a Mc.....

Here's your McNuggets and McFries. Come back McSoon.

What I always THOUGHT was that the drum tracks were created by generating MIDI note numbers and playing the corresponding drum sound triggered by that number. Like sidestick is MIDI note 10 I think. And all I would have to do is assign that track to a MIDI channel number that matches my drum machine (16) and the Realdrum track would play my Roland machine. Apparently that is not the case.

The depth of my experimenting came when I recorded a MIDI track that was a harmony vocal part played on a keyboard. Then I connected my vocoder and as that keyed in part played back I triggered the vocoder with my voice when that part played, and the vocoder did indeed sing as if I was playing it in real time. The application there was that since the harmonies were exactly mirroring the lead, as I sang the lead into the SM58, I also sang it into another mic that was plugged into the vocoder. Of course in other applications where the BGV did not exactly follow the leads I would have to sing it in anyway, so it would be redundant to do it that way.

But back to topic, I guess what I wanted to try will not work.
Posted By: Njb950 Re: how sound is routed in Band in a box - 01/10/17 02:54 PM
Is there any way to output what goes to the speakers across the LAN to my iPad in a its Focusrite iTrack and iDock? That would mean I can create bias songs on my desktop and mix the output with my mic and guitar going through the iDock.

That would be a lot better than saving the song and transferring using the server and iPhone app.
© PG Music Forums