PG Music Home
This is extremely important, for these two items are the first things anyone who attempts to assist you with your issues (which you are bound to have along the way) should want to know from the start!
So do yourselves this favour, edit your forum user profile (found in "My Stuff" menu) so that it clearly states at least these two facts: System version and BBox version.

I apologise in advance if this is a dual post in this forum section...although if there ever was a concept to say twice, this one is it.
Hi Icelander, it's alright?
Originally Posted By: jacko_karel
Hi Icelander, it's alright?
And a lot more than that! grin

You've really taken this advice to town there, well done. cool
Icelander.Not been here long but I have changed my profile.
"Not been here long" is the very definition of newcomer - which btw we never refer to as "noob" or anything self-demeaning of that sort. Everyone of us was 'newcomer' once wink

This is all good here, people, keep it up! You all clearly get the idea now, no need for you all to feel like you have to "report for inspection", as it were.laugh
Judging by the increasing number of posts I'm seeing from users (new AND old!) that still don't apply this simple strategy, here's a much needed *bump* of a reminder:

*BUMP!* cool
Oh, and here's something I myself needed reminding of:

Don't forget to update that info as required! blush
About that, it's interesting that signature updates affect all earlier posts as well. This could get confusing when reading someone's post of long ago, especially if it's about differences in versions. I would think it might work better if signature updates carried forward only from the time of the update, assuming the forum software could accomplish that.

Just a thought to add to your good recommendation.
Good points there, and thanks again for serving as my "reminder" a few weeks back smile

I had actually made the suggestion to PG that such a thing like basic system & BBox version info ought perhaps to be a mandatory part of signing up to the forum in the first place, but then I got pointed out by someone that any and all changes the user might have to these along the way are going to make such a thing quite tricky to implement.
So, maybe I should revise both that suggestion and my advice here, and narrow it down to the very essential "Are you Mac or PC", since the BBox continues to be (too) different on each still. Truth be told, that very fact was what brought on my advice here in the beginning anyway.
Oh yes, that point was clear.

I do wonder why it's hard to implement. After a day, a user can't change a post. But the signature change propagates backward, and I think it should not. Or are you saying it's hard for the users to keep up with making the changes?
All good points above. The signature (or other user's environmental status) should be taken from the versions in use at the time of the post so that others can identify that user's equipment at the time their post was made.

Updating the information (version, equipment etc) should be reflected in posts from that point forward.

Great ideas.
As an extra though: One for the Wish List?
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
As an extra though: One for the Wish List?
Way ahead of you (as stated above), but got shot down by another user.
I've just found that thread, if you're interested:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=406546
When another user has a different opinion, requests a clarification or offers a suggestion, it isn’t ‘shooting down’ anything. The only audience that can do that is PG Music staff.
Be that as it may, that's still how the discussion came to a screeching halt, regardless of what you call it wink
I don't think the signature is actually part of your post, but just a display concatenation of your post with the signature on file. That's probably why your old posts change. And you can turn the signature off, if you wish.
Which is why I suggested in that other thread that they ought to create a specific entity just for this purpose.
Originally Posted By: Icelander
...So do yourselves this favour, edit your forum user profile (found in "My Stuff" menu) so that it clearly states at least these two facts: System version and BBox version.

Great suggestion! Any information that can be provided when asking for assistance helps create the shortest path to the answer/resolution! smile

-Callie
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
...So do yourselves this favour, edit your forum user profile (found in "My Stuff" menu) so that it clearly states at least these two facts: System version and BBox version.

Great suggestion! Any information that can be provided when asking for assistance helps create the shortest path to the answer/resolution! smile

-Callie
Glad you're getting the point as intended. Now maybe you'll have a (second) look at the suggestion I made in that 'other thread' to make this very concept easier for all of us.
Thanks for giving this topic your attention cool
Right, another year, another release - time for another nudge of this one.
Right, another year, another release - time for another nudge of this one.
+1
...And here we go yet again crazy

Read the first post in this thread, btw, if the subject header isn't clear enough.
Along with this should be the headline "Read the forum FAQ's before posting". No, I'm not starting a new thread about this, I've done that several times over the years already.

So many times support type questions start in the wrong forum like Tech SOS, Recording and Production etc when the question is about a product usually Biab or RB. Many new people come on here and just throw their questions in any old forum and don't bother checking out which forum their question should go in. It's all in the FAQ's and should be required reading when they register.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
...No, I'm not starting a new thread about this, I've done that several times over the years already.
Damn straight! And why should you, when there's a perfectly good thread out there already about something else entirely just ready & ripe for hijacking wink
© PG Music Forums