PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Regenerating solos - 01/26/17 11:20 PM
Hi, using real styles for backing tracks and would like to be able to regenerate...say 8 bars of solo guitar within the song as sometimes it just doesn't sound right. I have tried to cut and paste other bars that I like but that doesn't seem to work, but will keep working on that.
I am looking to highlight the bars that need a change and somehow get a different sound. Does that make sense??? and is it possible.
I think there is a freeze button somewhere, but haven't used it yet.
Just thinking aloud...if I used a DAW could I cut and paste then???
Thanks for any help here.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Regenerating solos - 01/26/17 11:59 PM
Hi wish,

It's much easier to do this if you open your BIAB song in Realband. Then you can cut and paste if you like or highlight the bars you want regenerated, choose generate then look down in the menu to where it says generate riffs and use that to pick what fits best.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: wish Re: Regenerating solos - 01/27/17 12:04 AM
Just opened up Real Band and imported the song and can cut and paste.
Haven't used a DAW before...so much here. Thanks
Posted By: Sundance Re: Regenerating solos - 01/27/17 12:23 AM
You're welcome.

Very important! Be sure to click save as .seq - this is the only way you'll have a Realband file of your song with all your changes. Do that first so you don't forget later. Then you can just hit save for that song file. Your original BIAB file will not be affected.
Posted By: Kev T Re: Regenerating solos - 01/27/17 08:03 AM
Hi wish,

The following video may help as it shows exactly how to regenerate solos etc. You can keep repeating the process until you get a solo you like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBE5cHMoic
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Regenerating solos - 01/27/17 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: wish
Hi, using real styles for backing tracks and would like to be able to regenerate...say 8 bars of solo guitar within the song as sometimes it just doesn't sound right. I have tried to cut and paste other bars that I like but that doesn't seem to work, but will keep working on that.
I am looking to highlight the bars that need a change and somehow get a different sound. Does that make sense??? and is it possible.
I think there is a freeze button somewhere, but haven't used it yet.
Just thinking aloud...if I used a DAW could I cut and paste then???
Thanks for any help here.

Yes... you're on the right track. I use a 3 step process.

1. get the song right in BB... structure, beginning, ending, key, tempo etc...

2. open it in Real Band and generate tracks there.

3. Move all the tracks to a DAW. Some like to use Real Band because it is a DAW. I use Sonar becuae it does more and it's easier to work with.

Using that process, you have the tracks where you can edit as needed or must. You can then use Real Band to regenerate your lead guitar solo track multiple times to get different variations of that same solo. Then, rather than using edit, cut/copy/paste, simply use volume envelopes in the tracks of the solo to bring in one track for one part, then switch to a different track using envelopes for a different part and so on throughout the solo.

I use this song from my website as an example The Best Christmas since it has 5 comped guitar tracks in the solo and several piano tracks in the fills.

In the pic, you can see tracks 11, 12, 13 are the same RB piano. All 3 are slightly different. I'm using track 13 to start a fill and track 12's part to finish it. This is a relatively fast way to edit several tracks into one solo. The guitar solo further into the song is pulled from 5 tracks of the "same" RB solo track.

Posted By: wish Re: Regenerating solos - 01/27/17 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone, should be fun trying this, time consuming, but fun.
© PG Music Forums