PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/25/17 05:37 AM
Hi, pretty new at creating backing tracks and have to say its great fun and time consuming. I am trying to get the right pushes and timing for the start of Jailhouse Rock and the more I work on it the worse it gets. Think I've tried everything so this is my last resort....hope you don't mind.
I just can't seem to get the timing of the 2 chords of the intro and then into the first lines....The warden threw a party etc. Should be simple....
I've tried ^^ and ^ in various positions and not getting it right.
I'm using (rightly or wrongly) real tracks "untamed rockabilly style" and for the ease of playing the song letting the drums continue solo with the original rhythm rather than the 2 shots as per the recording. eg Eb...d D...d
This helps me comimg back with the two chords through the song without risking losing the beat in live performance.
If it makes a difference I'm running with this in key of D, tempo 170.
Sorry haven't worked out how to do your fancy screen photos to offer.
Cheers
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/25/17 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: wish
Sorry haven't worked out how to do your fancy screen photos to offer.
Cheers

Wish, This Tip from fellow member Noel might help when attaching pictures

Another way is:
Capture the image and save it to disk first (Microsoft paint is the real basic way)
Use the File Manager (below where you type), under the section Post Options to add an image. You can link to an existing video by selecting the "Enter media tag" icon above where you type (5th from the left starting at the Smiley face).
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/25/17 08:06 AM
This is one of those instances where doing the intro ( at least) using midi would be a good thing. Or...play it live.

The problem is BB plays quarters and you need eighths.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/25/17 09:08 AM
Did you try using another RealStyle ?
Seems working fine with the style =RKABL_B, but I don't know what you are really expecting.
The example below is not the real sequence of the song, it is just for testing purpose. It is in the key of Eb. For your key of D, you have to transpose the chords in consequence.

Attached picture rk.jpg
Posted By: wish Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/25/17 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll try again tomorrow with the last posts idea and perhaps use a different style. have come close but just not quite on the money.
Cheers
Posted By: wish Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/26/17 09:30 AM
Thanks....got it pretty close so happy to go with it.
Cheers
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/26/17 12:54 PM
I completely understand that working with Biab can be a fun hobby and rolling your own is satisfying but if all you want is a good backing track for free, the first thing I would do is search YouTube. The second thing I would do is search for a midi file of it. Here's the first one that popped up on YT, there's probably others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ejLdQZLfs

Download this, throw it into Real Band and have some fun with it. The YT one is audio but you can pitchshift it in RB to change keys. A midi one is dependent on whatever synth you use for the sound quality but you get full control over everything.

I just did a quick search and found one midi file, I can't post it because it has the melody in it. I played it in RB and it's typical of a freebie midi. It's not that good, the basic elements are there but it requires a lot of work to get it to sound right.

Bob
Posted By: wish Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/27/17 09:54 AM
Thanks jazzmammal for your thoughts.
Free backing tracks?? ..... not really interested in going down that path and that's the reason I bought this software. For many years I have been an advocate of live music rather than "canned" music and while BiaB is nearly going against the grain, I get a lot of self satisfaction in creating a track which is completely different to the original song but when you put the guitar and voice over it, it's really great.
I must get into the midi side as it would probably give me more options but have very little idea where to start even though I have a midi keyboard but having an issue with the Edirol USB connection (15 years old) with windows 10.
Thanks for your comments.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/27/17 08:15 PM
Yes, that is the sentiment of a lot of us here. It's fun to dive into Biab/RB and create backing tracks of a famous cover. I will say though that something like Jailhouse Rock is one of those that's pretty tough to get right but if you don't need it for a mission critical gig then keep on experimenting with it.

However, while you can get Biab to get the timing of the punches right, there are no Biab drum tracks that will give you those two iconic snare hits that answer the instrumental punches. You know, the band goes DA..DA and the drums answer Bam..Bam. The only way to put those snare hits in there is to use midi on a separate track in Real Band.

The first thing that comes to mind is download the audio file of that YT track, open it in RB and then only use those punches and drum hits for the main verse part. The bridge and solos are basic rockabilly stuff and there are many different RT and Supermidi tracks for that.

Real Band is really the best way to do a tune like this because you can combine a midi file with Real Tracks using different styles. RB gives you 48 tracks to play with and is way easier to experiment with different styles and tracks that Biab is.

An example is that midi track I found. Just Google Jailhouse Rock midi and it will come right up. Download it and open it in RB. You'll hear that overall it's pretty sloppy and not very good. BUT, it has a decent bass, guitar and piano part. I would combine elements of those tracks with the audio file intro from YT to start. That alone should get you pretty close and could teach you quite a bit about how all this works.

All this is called song construction btw. People take parts of different things they find and cut and paste them together in Biab and/or a DAW and bingo, they have a good sounding cover.

Bob
Posted By: wish Re: Jailhouse Rock....can't crack it - 04/27/17 09:08 PM
Thanks Bob, I will take your advice on trying the midi download as I do need to widen my scope here. Haven't used RB on any on my tracks yet as the mixer etc in BiaB has been adequate. Off to the city this weekend so will try to get my keyboard to a music shop and hunt down a midi lead that suits the current operating system.
Thanks for you interest
Don
© PG Music Forums