PG Music Home
Posted By: kenhan 6/8 style tutorial - 05/05/17 04:33 PM
Upon realizing there are only three 6/8 meter styles in BiaB 2017 Mac Pro package, I contacted tech support if there are any packages that contain more 6/8 meter songs. His answer was a "no" because it is not a popular style. So I googled and came across this tutorial.

I think I sort of follow, but I can't get the feel right. I need 6/8, steady rhythm (i.e. little to no swing) style. Can anyone help me set this up? This is my second day with BiaB.

Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 6/8 style tutorial - 05/05/17 07:34 PM
Ken,

You've certainly jumped into the deep end of the pool by focusing on 6/8! It is a time signature that is not native to BIAB.

BIAB is adapted to compound time signatures such as 6/8, 9/8, 12/8 by modifying the existing styles in 3/4 and 4/4. Also, even though the term "swing" is sometimes applied to a 6/8 style, in my experience, it is not relevant (it's a carry-over from the original base style in 3/4 or 4/4 that was used to create the 6/8 feel).

Below is a link to a thread on 6/8 in which I explain the above a little more fully. (It's my second post in the thread so you'll need to scroll down a bit.)

www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=406957

Since the large majority of Realtracks are either 4/4 or 3/4, trying to use these to create 6/8 styled backings also requires some lateral thinking.

During the early stages of learning BIAB, I encourage you to work with 4/4 and 3/4 so that you develop a feel for the program's ability. It's amazing software! I constantly marvel at how typing in chords and pressing a button can create such a wonderful sound.

Hope this helps,
Noel

© PG Music Forums