PG Music Home
Basically, as I understand it I have three options:

1) I can export score to MIDI and then import to BIAB.

2) I can export to XML and import to BIAB.

3) I can import the GPX file direct into BIAB.

What would give me the best results? Does XML have any advantages over MIDI, or vice versa?

Thanks in advance!
XML certainly supports a richer feature set than MIDI.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
XML certainly supports a richer feature set than MIDI.

I need some reference to understand and compare the differences. I don't read/write notation so I had never considered using XML. Will you note (pun) some of the differences and benefits XML offers over MIDI? Also, I've found there is a lot of variance in quality and complexity between MIDI files, so is the XML quality threshold over the average MIDI file we come across most times or better at getting BIAB to do more complex arrangements than anything MIDI can do? For instance, how does XML compare with MIDI in getting BIAB to play 8 beats in a measure similar to a Notes Norton Expanded style?

I recently refreshed my MIDI knowledge and skills with an online course in MIDI programming and it really expanded and integrated seamlessly into my use of BIAB/RB where I had previously used RealTracks even on songs I imported MIDI to get my chord chart and arrangement.

Now you have me wondering about XML and XML may be another leap further into the depths of this wonderful program.

Charlie
Charlie, the main difference is that Music XML can transfer chord symbols. MIDI does not. Implementation of XML is not as standardized as MIDI, though.
Yes, it gets down to 'horses for courses'

Both MIDI and XML have different benefits. Depending on the requirements, one might be better than the other for providing certain functionality.
Thanks Matt and Trevor. I've spent some time this afternoon watching a few videos on YouTube of MuseScore as well to gain more familiarity with the format. It was interesting learning that MuseScore can import and convert sheet music from a PDF file. There are several older Fake books and also Hymnals lying about here at home. I've thought several times about manually copying a song or portion of a song into BIAB using the notation feature but had never got around to doing it.

Charlie
Charlie, it might not be relevant now but going the other way, MuseScore opens BIAB files directly.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Yes, it gets down to 'horses for courses'

Both MIDI and XML have different benefits. Depending on the requirements, one might be better than the other for providing certain functionality.

I would be most grateful if you could expand on this! Basically, for the purposes stated in the title, what would result in the most textured/nuanced/detailed interpretation when imported into BiaB?
Matt touched on the most important one:

MIDI does not support Chords, whereas Music XML does.

You really need to define (for yourself) exactly what your requirements are, and then explore what each option provides to fulfill those needs.

BTW: I'm certainly not advocating that MIDI is the lesser solution. Music XML is extremely verbose. MIDI, as a data structure, is extremely elegant.

If your score needs chords displayed, Music XML might be the best option. If not, and you are looking for maximum flexibility, MIDI might be the best direction.
Thanks guys. I've downloaded MuseScore and will install it and play with it a bit.
I mentioned irregular implementation of Music XML. One of MuseScore’s strength is its error handling. Many programs just refuse to load a file, but MuseScore will give you a helpful error message. Music XML files are terribly long, but they are in English and can easily be edited as text files, so you can easily fix some errors (especially if you are accustomed to the formatting syntax of programming).
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

I recently refreshed my MIDI knowledge and skills with an online course in MIDI programming and it really expanded and integrated seamlessly into my use of BIAB/RB where I had previously used RealTracks even on songs I imported MIDI to get my chord chart and arrangement.

Charlie

will you please share more about the course
link
some content info
how it helped you
thanks
will you please share more about the course

link:

AMP Music Programing Course

some content info

More than 20 hours of programing, using loops, samples and VSTi's.

how it helped me

The instructor goes into great detail on how to isolate and make quality samples from CD's and avoid the pitfalls of stealing music from others. He programs a complete song from start to finish. I use to program with MIDI and it was a great refresher course. You do not have to be knowledgeable with midi, DAW's or VSTi's to be able to program using his techniques. It helped me in such a way that because I was aware of the isolated and clean Realtracks from BIAB that samples can be taken from for a particular beat, instrument sound or such and used in the manner that modern hip hop, RnB, Country and pop are done today. I don't think anyone is programming and uploading music to the User Forum in the way he presents.

I purchased the course at a discounted price and don't know if it is still available at the sale price anymore. He is currently running a special for a portion of this complete course on his site. For me, although I was quite familiar with how Midi works, it was well worth the cost to me and I feel I benefited from the course.

Charlie
Thanks for the info Charlie. It certainly looks like a comprehensive coverage.
thank you

for those interested
Advanced Music Production youtube channel
© PG Music Forums