PG Music Home
Posted By: dclore Solo Fade By Bar - 10/10/17 10:43 PM
Hello all,

I've managed to get to basic grips with BIAB and I'm loving the soloist function. However, I've managed to settle on a great solo but it kind of ends clunkily on the end of the last bar so I wanted to fade by bar so that the ending of the solo gets swallowed by the rest of the instruments. However, when I change the value of fade by bar it just disappears in that bar almost like it's been muted. Is there any way of fading only half a bar?

Ta
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/11/17 04:52 AM
My understanding is that you could only fade bar-by-bar unless you performed the fade separately in a DAW.

Function key F5 would allow you to decrease the volume, but again this only works at bar-by-bar level.

(A half bar fade might be considered very short though?)

Welcome to the forums.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/11/17 09:10 AM
Several things you can try dependent on if the solo is what want to keep it or if you can redo the solo.

To keep the solo you have: At the bar prior to the ending solo bar, in bar settings (F5), Click the track the solo is on menu down arrow and select fade per bar and set a setting of 8. You will have to experiment a bit with the actual number and adjust it to match your particular instrument and song.

In the bar where the solo ends, repeat the fade per bar with a steeper fade per bar number. I usually find a number between 14-24 will work. Before you exit, select another instrument playing a melody or solo fills if possible and select the Change Gain option to raise the level of that track and shift the focus from the solo track to the other instrument. You can select to reset the tracks to normal if the instrument will be playing in other sections of your song.

If you can regenerate your solo you can 'trick' your soloist into a smooth ending this way.....

Select your soloist track and bar for the solo to start normally.

Allow your soloist to play the bars you want to hear the solo.

At the next bar beyond the end of the solo, on the same track the soloist instrument is playing, open Bar Settings (F5) and near the top of the Bar Settings window, select ReatTracks Button. From the RealStyle you are using, select a rhythm instrument. (It can be any instrument, but Rhythm is the safest to use and not have a glitch in my experience. )

For instance, in _FOLKRKG.STY Folk-Pop 12 string with electric guitar, the 12 string rhythm number is 896.

So when you select the next bar after the solo ending and open the RealTrack Button, in the filter box, select 896.

This replaces the soloist instrument with the rhythm instrument. Because two instruments are sharing the same track, when you generate your solo, BIAB will read ahead on the chord chart and will anticipate the RealTracks change and your soloist will be a good player and smoothly end his solo to make room for the new instrument.

Mute the track at the bar after the solo ending. Your soloist should play smoothly from start to finish.

If your soloist will be doing another solo or doing fills, you simply select the bar you want to have the soloist to return and in the Bar Settings, select the RealTracks Button and Replace the Rhythm instrument with your soloist instrument.
Posted By: dclore Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/12/17 04:22 PM
Thanks!

I found the fade by bar option but I think I must have been doing it wrong. Charlie's idea below actually solved the problem!
Posted By: dclore Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/12/17 04:58 PM
Thanks, Charlie, that's got it. I think I was using too high a number thinking it was a percentage of how much it would fade from 100% volume sort of thing!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/12/17 05:03 PM
Great.
Glad you got it sorted and that Charlie's idea worked.
Thanks also for letting us know your work method. This can help others in the future, too.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/12/17 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

If you can regenerate your solo you can 'trick' your soloist into a smooth ending this way.....

Select your soloist track and bar for the solo to start normally.

Allow your soloist to play the bars you want to hear the solo.

At the next bar beyond the end of the solo, on the same track the soloist instrument is playing, open Bar Settings (F5) and near the top of the Bar Settings window, select ReatTracks Button. From the RealStyle you are using, select a rhythm instrument. (It can be any instrument, but Rhythm is the safest to use and not have a glitch in my experience. )

For instance, in _FOLKRKG.STY Folk-Pop 12 string with electric guitar, the 12 string rhythm number is 896.

So when you select the next bar after the solo ending and open the RealTrack Button, in the filter box, select 896.

This replaces the soloist instrument with the rhythm instrument. Because two instruments are sharing the same track, when you generate your solo, BIAB will read ahead on the chord chart and will anticipate the RealTracks change and your soloist will be a good player and smoothly end his solo to make room for the new instrument.

Mute the track at the bar after the solo ending. Your soloist should play smoothly from start to finish.

If your soloist will be doing another solo or doing fills, you simply select the bar you want to have the soloist to return and in the Bar Settings, select the RealTracks Button and Replace the Rhythm instrument with your soloist instrument.

If this isn't in the Tips and Tricks Forum, it should be.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/12/17 06:51 PM
I concur.
Thanks Charlie.
Posted By: dclore Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/12/17 11:23 PM
Totally concur - both methods sound absolutely vital to getting smooth transitions!
Posted By: lambada Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/13/17 01:15 AM
ok. Thanks. Must try this.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/13/17 04:37 AM
Great tip Charlie. Thanks.

Another method if you are using RealBand. You can enter a hold in the chord chart (eg G...) in the place you want the solo instrument to fade and then simply regenerate that track only. I recently did a blog about that here.

Create Interest in your BIAB song using holds
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/13/17 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies and I've posted this into Tips and Tricks...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Solo Fade By Bar - 10/19/17 11:38 AM
Hi dclore,

Welcome t9o Band In A Box and to the forums. You'll find some great tips and help from folks here. The folks who have replied to your post as among the very best on the site. They really know their stuff. Glad they got you going! And good luck with BIAB - it's a fabulous tool!

Alan & Di
© PG Music Forums