PG Music Home
Greetings, I searched through the forums and only saw one post going back many years ago. There wasn't a solution at that time, so checking to see how to perform a task such a this:

I have the basic song generated and like the current generated version. So I freeze all tracks. But, I realize I didn't create an intro. So I now add 4 measures. I only want to generate for those four measures. But it seems as though I only have the choice of unfreezing all tracks.

Any way to keep the measures I like and only generate for the ones I don't like?
DonEduardo,

Welcome to the forums.

Band in a Box doesn't allow generations or freezing of individual bars.

If you have BIAB for Windows, the easiest way to accomplish what you are after is to use Realband. It's included with BIAB (Win). Realband does allow generation of individual bars.

If you don't have BIAB (Win), the only possibility that I can think of is to use a DAW and to export your present tracks to that DAW.

Then, save the BIAB file with a new name, unfreeze all the tracks, add your intro and regenerate. Once this is down, export your new tracks to the DAW so that all the old and they new BIAB tracks are there.

Now, working with the audio, use copy and paste to copy the intro and merge it with the existing tracks that don't have an intro.

Once the intro is completed, it would then be possible to save the files as WAV/wma/mp3 and add them back to BIAB as Performance Tracks. I suggest you have a read about these in Help.

Personally.... what I've done in similar situations as yours is...

1. Save the song with a new name. This keeps the present song and all the frozen tracks in place so that I can get back to them if needed.

2. Unfreeze the tracks.

3. Add the intro bars.

4. Generate the song.

5. Keep on regenerating the song until I get a sound that I like. When I get one track working fine, I freeze it. Now I generate again and again until I get all the tracks working as I like.

I've found with BIAB that great song generations are always available.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for the great reply. I have BIAB for Mac. I do have a Windows computer too so not sure if I can get RealBand for Windows if I've paid for the Mac version of BIAB.

What I did for now is do as you suggested. I re-generated with the intro until I was fine with the new arrangement. Sometimes a lick just happens to get put in the exact right place in the song and when that happens I hate to lose it.

Thanks again for the info.
Originally Posted By: DonEduardo
What I did for now is do as you suggested. I re-generated with the intro until I was fine with the new arrangement. Sometimes a lick just happens to get put in the exact right place in the song and when that happens I hate to lose it.

Excellent!

When I first started with BIAB, I used to be very protective of what I generated. Over the years, I've learnt that there is always something potentially different, and often better, if I just take a little bit more time to regenerate.

All the best with your song!

Noel

© PG Music Forums