PG Music Home
Posted By: Slick Salmon Endings with sustain - 11/30/17 12:43 PM
BIAB has a very nice RealTracks feature that allows the final chord of a song to resonate with some sustain (decay) rather than just abruptly stopping. From the Song Setting menu you select "Use 4-Bar Ending for RealTracks".

This feature is great if you allow BIAB to generate a 2-bar ending, but it's grayed out if you don't. So, the end of the tune is a bit like hitting a brick wall. It just stops dead. Having BIAB generate an 2-bar ending would be fine if the ending allowed a chord change within those two bars, but it doesn't.

Is there a way around this?

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Endings with sustain - 11/30/17 01:57 PM
I don't know how to change the chord within the built-in function of 2 or 4-bar endings. The 4-bar ending, by the way, is a 2-bar ending that is allowed to resonate an additional two bars.

But I don't use these. I put a hold on the final chord (add three periods after the chord name). Make sure the song (or Tag) doesn't end right after; give it several bars to fade out, and then a few more. Then put another chord well beyond the end of the fade, and use a single period (this causes it to silence all instruments). Just use a different chord - anything - other than the chord being held.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Endings with sustain - 12/01/17 10:07 AM
when I write, I use BB for the composition of the song. if the factory endings don't give me what I want I simply add a bunch of measures to the song and make my own ending. For a hold and fade to black ending.... type the final chord followed by 3 dots. leave about 4 measures after it for the fade to complete.

G...

Normally, however, in the real world, you're not going to let the final chord sustain for 4 measures. So in my DAW, I use a volume envelope or envelopes (as needed) to shorten the fade to a more reasonable length.... normally about 4 beats and gone.
Posted By: Slick Salmon Re: Endings with sustain - 12/03/17 10:44 PM
Good suggestions. Thanks! If I use three dots on the last chord and then leave two bars empty after that, I can fade the volume in the second bar and get pretty close to what I want. But, life would be a lot easier if BIAB allowed chord changes in their 2-bar endings. Those decay nicely.

© PG Music Forums