PG Music Home
Posted By: pmig BIAB's naming convention - 12/09/17 04:17 AM
If anyone else got stuck on this I hope this helps…

I just finished watching a BIAB video and I finally understand why I was so confused working with this product. I kind of put BIAB off to the side for a long time due to being stuck trying to understand why I couldn’t get a structure to work properly.

Per BIAB: A chorus is defined as going once through the complete form of the song, or for a typical verse, verse, bridge, verse, or A A B A pop song.

What I assume we all understand to be a chorus BIAB calls it a bridge, and they consider a grouping of verses and bridges to be a chorus. I don’t know of any other musician that uses this structure naming outside of BIAB.
Posted By: WendyM Re: BIAB's naming convention - 12/09/17 07:42 AM
Well now that you know this curiousity you'll be sorted.-)The word foxxed me too at the beginning of this year cos I'm wtiting Verses and then the Chorus bit is my bit in the middle.But now I develop my song as one long 'chorus' and change the box at the top to 1 and it plays it straght through whatever I've written.That way if ive gone AABACA for example i dont have to think about it.
Wendy
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB's naming convention - 12/09/17 08:58 AM
Originally Posted By: pmig
What I assume we all understand to be a chorus BIAB calls it a bridge, and they consider a grouping of verses and bridges to be a chorus. I don’t know of any other musician that uses this structure naming outside of BIAB.

You are correct, it is unusual that the word "Chorus" defines playing once through the complete song. I also have only seen it used in BiaB, but once you get familiar with the operation, it should be smooth sailing.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Trev.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB's naming convention - 12/09/17 11:52 AM
The origin of the term, along with the original purpose of BIAB, is from jazz. We say, “Take a chorus” and it means solo once through the entire tune. BIAB was originally developed to play songs in jazz fakebooks.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB's naming convention - 12/09/17 02:21 PM
Here in Oz, we would say: 'Take One'

(or maybe: 'Take Five' grin )
Posted By: pmig Re: BIAB's naming convention - 12/09/17 03:28 PM
Thanks for the replies all, and Matt thanks for clearing up the why
© PG Music Forums