PG Music Home
Posted By: Fran123 recording audio - 12/09/17 09:36 AM
Hi, Is there a way to record to more than one audio track in BIAB, or should I move the MIDI parts to a different platform? (a newbie question) thanks!
Posted By: casak Re: recording audio - 12/09/17 09:59 AM
Record your first instrument or vocal onto the audio track.

From the audio menu, make the audio track a Performance track and move it to an available track.

Record your second and third audio tracks repeating the above process.
Posted By: MarioD Re: recording audio - 12/09/17 01:26 PM
As explained it can be accomplished however IMHO you should do this in a DAW. You gain a lot more flexibility in a DAW that you will ever get when recording audio in BiaB.

If you don't already have a favorite DAW then use RealBand; this of course assumes you have the PC version of BiaB. Mac users can chime in and suggest a DAW for that platform.
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 10:24 AM
Thank you. Lots! I'll work with that.
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 10:48 AM
Thank you. I have the PC version. I'll start with BiaB. baby steps. I just found audio record on RealBand. lol I think I'll move the midi tracks to ProTracks when I'm more comfortable. It does look like more audio options. Thanks, again
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 10:57 AM
If you already know a DAW (Pro Tools) use that. Just take a moment to look over what RealBand can do: it can open a BIAB file and regenerate sections of a track. No other DAW can do that (neither can BIAB).

You are running Pro Tools on a PC? Version 12.5 if Windows 10; the earlier versions don’t work on new versions of Windows.

If you don’t already have a DAW, I can’t recommend Pro Tools anyway. It is often unstable and is terribly complicated compared to several other choices. The main reason to use it is if you need to transfer tracks to and from a pro recording studio.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
As explained it can be accomplished however IMHO you should do this in a DAW. You gain a lot more flexibility in a DAW that you will ever get when recording audio in BiaB.

If you don't already have a favorite DAW then use RealBand; this of course assumes you have the PC version of BiaB. Mac users can chime in and suggest a DAW for that platform.

I second what Mario said smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 11:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Fran123
Thank you. I have the PC version. I'll start with BiaB. baby steps. I just found audio record on RealBand. lol I think I'll move the midi tracks to ProTracks when I'm more comfortable. It does look like more audio options. Thanks, again

If I may ask what is ProTracks? I've never hear of it nor could I find a DAW called Protracks on the Internet. Do you mean Pro Tools? Or Power Tracks?
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 04:08 PM
Hi Thanks. After a closer look at RealBand. (finding audio recording lol) I'll work with that and BiaB.

Pro Tracks is/was an add-on, I think, when I bought an M-Audio midi interface. Looks a lot like the RealBand Function.

ProTools is too expensive and I'm allergic to complicated. Thanks
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 04:38 PM
Hi, ProTracks came free, I think with an M-Audio midi interface. This was a few years ago. It's a recording software that included Cakewalk. (I couldn't find an active link) I used to know what I was doing on Cakewalk a long time ago. That was a few computers ago.

I remember I preferred Power Tracks to Cakewalk at the time and Power tracks was free. When I upgraded BiaB a little while ago the Rep said I should look at Real Band if I was interested in Power Tracks.
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 05:05 PM
Thank you Joanne ...and thanks for the resource
Posted By: Teunis Re: recording audio - 12/10/17 06:36 PM
I like Cakewalk as you can do comping. I.e. Record the part a number of times, select the best bits and seemlessy merge them. But that costs money.

For free one could use Audacity. Create the song in BIAB export the wav file import this into Audacity. Record the extra part save it by itself then pull it back into BIAB. Once again as many tracks as you need but merging is more difficult.
Posted By: lambada Re: recording audio - 12/11/17 05:28 AM
Check out Reaper. Some of us love it and you can use it for free for as long as you need until you shell out all of $60 US. Really good value. A lot of us go BIAB - RealBand to Reaper or BIAB to Reaper.
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/12/17 08:52 AM
cool, thanks
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/12/17 09:01 AM
Thank you!
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: recording audio - 12/12/17 09:20 AM
MixCraft seems to be holding its own with BIAB & RB, and it's a great value. I actually tried to switch to using Real Band, but I had to switch back to MC.

RB is a really nice product, and a very capable starter DAW. With that being said, good luck trying to seriously mix down and master in it. Yes, you can do wonders with it, however I've learned to understand why other BIAB users still use their favorite DAW of choice.

In theory you should be able to regenerate a track in BIAB and just drag a section or track into a DAW. Not to mention that a lot of my favorite VST's are not working in it, but that may just need a little help from support.
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/12/17 11:01 AM
Thank you. I'll take a look. It's closer to my budget. lol
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: recording audio - 12/12/17 11:27 AM
I am using Mixcraft now, after decades with Cakewalk products (SONAR and predecessors).
Posted By: rharv Re: recording audio - 12/12/17 08:52 PM
FWIW I'm one of the ones that has been using Reaper more and more.
It has it's fair share of menu choices and options to get used to and learn, but it does seem pretty stable/efficient.

It has no 'Home/Studio/Pro' version features or pricing to consider.
For about the price of Mixcraft 'Home Studio' you get all of Reaper .. but you need to consider your needs, intent and pricing to make an informed decision.
Mixcraft may have things you want that Reaper doesn't, and vice-versa.

I *think* they both offer a free trial, I know Reaper does.
Reaper is actually free for as long as you want, if you are willing to ignore the NAG screen and that gut feeling that it is well worth the price. (I got another license recently just because I 'should'). As far as I can tell it is on the honor system, which made me even more compelled.

"It never hurts to check them all out."

/Well, except for Ozone. Don't audition that unless you are able/willing to pony up. You'll want it.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: recording audio - 12/13/17 12:07 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Well, except for Ozone. Don't audition that unless you are able/willing to pony up. You'll want it.

Yes, don't try Ozone unless you've already got your credit card in your hand. wink
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: recording audio - 12/13/17 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Fran123
Hi, Is there a way to record to more than one audio track in BIAB, or should I move the MIDI parts to a different platform? (a newbie question) thanks!

What is your anticipated end result. Meaning, what are you planning to do with your recording. It's one thing to record for fun and to share with friends and another to create demos to market your original works or create a self-produced album. No need to purchase a DAW and spend countless hours learning to use it unless it is cost worthy. As Casak suggested, you can easily record audio multitracks with no additional cost using BIAB. BIAB is a robust multitrack recorder but not a DAW. As a multitrack recorder, it includes the PGMusic Dxi plug ins and Vst capability. You can quickly create and produce CD quality recordings all within the BIAB program.

If you are an audio recording novice, you need to learn recording, editing and mastering techniques as well create your BIAB song. My point is that PGMusic has created a product that allows you create an accompaniment track and record yourself playing or singing over the accompaniment track as easy as it is to sing and record on a Karaoke machine. If your anticipated result of your recording is similar to making a Karaoke recording, that is easily accomplished and also within the design and intentions of using BIAB.
Posted By: Fran123 Re: recording audio - 12/13/17 08:12 AM
Hello. Thank you. You've made a good point. I used to use BiaB only for practicing with a rhythm section and it's great for that.

I'm using it now to write and want to record instruments over the midi parts. There have been a lot of great suggestions here and I found some affordable/free products with great string/orchestral effects. It can be distracting though. I need to learn how to use them.

I'll stay on the PG platform for now. One thing at a time.

Thanks
© PG Music Forums