PG Music Home
I'm preparing a number of backing tracks to hopefully soon perform at local nursing homes etc with my digital piano.

I'm making good progress but, as the case usually is, one problem solved leads to more questions.

1. In "Bewitched...", the song starts with a 16 bar intro - which I'd like to play as a solo (ie - no backing track). How do I get BIAB (2017) to start playing right at the point that the solo intro ends? (Note that my backing track for "Bewitched" does NOT include the intro.) My thoughts are that I could add 16 blank (or muted) bars at the beginning (to cover the intro), but then it's almost impossible for me to get the exact tempo to match up to the point where the backing track kicks in.

Basically, I'd like something like Linda Ronstadt's version where (except for the piano) the backing band (BIAB in my case) comes in at the 1 minute mark.)

2. Once BIAB kicks in I'd like the first chorus (starting at, say, Bar 17) to play without the "horns" track, but then have the "horns" track un-mute for the second chorus (again at Bar 17). In other words, since the backing track has the chorus set-up to "repeat", I need it to play without the horns the first time thru and then with the horns the second time. Bar 17 has only one set of controls, so how do I do this?

I hope that my questions are clearly stated - I probably don't always use correct terminology.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi

Well in case like this where I was wanting to do different things in different Choruses.
I would tend to unfold the song into one long chorus / song.
This way all bars will be available for F5 bar settings.
As for the intro I think I would inset the number of bars then enter the notes in those bars in editable notation mode on say the melody or soloist track. And chose a piano patch.
You can mute out any style parts you don’t want on those bars say just leaving your piano bass and drums maybe.

Just my quick thoughts , I am sure other will have lots of other ways using tags Etc
But you might find it easier to manage and see where your bar edits are as a single linear song
Have fun cool
Mike

Thanks, Mike!

I managed to rearrange the chord sheet to eliminate the repeat and set it up in linear fashion instead. That worked great.

With regard to the first 16 bars - I inserted them in the beginning and muted everything but drums. While not a perfect solution (I'd prefer having NOTHING playing during those 16 bars), it allows me to play at the tempo where the band kicks in at the correct time.

Is there a way to at least lower the drum volume in just those 16 bars?

Thanks!
In addition to mute and back to normal F5 lets you change the volume of a track. Use the "change by" selection instead of mute. Try entering different numbers until you arrive at a volume close to what you want.
HI

Yes indeed you can do that in the bar settings on the drum track click change by a negative number say -50 and leave at that, till you return the drum track to normal
You may need to regenerate the song to get this to bite you may have to play with the numbers a bit depending how loud your drums are set.

Mike

PS snap Jim smile
Go to the first measure, select Fn 5, and mute all. On measure 17 follow the same steps and Un-mute all.
You should be able to follow the curser for 16 measures to pick up the tempo.
Alternately have the drums come in on measure 15 or 16 to lead you in.
Enjoy playing at nursing and retirement homes, I just did my 4th one this week and they are always rewarding and fun.
© PG Music Forums