PG Music Home
Posted By: cubalibre BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 10:09 AM
I copied the whole biab folder into a USB key and then I inserted it into a new PC.
If I run BIAB in the new PC directly from the usb key it works. Is this normal?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 10:21 AM
There some parts of the program that need to be written to a computers registry and some files need to be loaded into \windows. This happens during the install process. That said, it's still possible to run the main program without installing those components. Limitations will eventually arise though.

Ultimately, the program will need to be activated and, without that, it will stop running. A user has three activations.

Posted By: cubalibre Re: BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 10:50 AM
I tryed biab 2012 trial
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 05:27 PM
What Noel mentioned about files is correct. Specifically, the PG Music fonts require a proper installation to have been conducted.

Licensing may have been slightly different in 2012.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
What Noel mentioned about files is correct. Specifically, the PG Music fonts require a proper installation to have been conducted.

Licensing may have been slightly different in 2012.

Trev,

Please feel absolutely free to correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the soft synths/effects that PG Music have used over the years like sForzando, Sampletank and Amplitube, and which are installed during the BIAB installation process, also write to the registry and require installing in Windows (and Program Files).

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 05:39 PM
Hi Noel, I think you're definitely on the money here.

There are no doubt multiple features/functions that require the installer.

I mentioned fonts because it came to mind, but I agree with you, I'm sure there are others.

Good to clarify.

Best, Trev
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB portable? - 01/13/18 05:45 PM
Noel, Trevor, that sounds right. I think without installing fonts during setup, any notation mode will fail to display.

If I read correctly, the version of BIAB being described here is old: version 2012. That version did not have copy protection and did not require activation. It also lacked many current features that might stress the computer, so it is more likely to work satisfactorily on a usb flash drive.
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: BIAB portable? - 01/14/18 03:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96

So you can only install it 3 times? I've already used up two. I tried to run if off my laptop using the external hard drive, but it kept cutting out. I finally got an email reply from BiaB telling me that the external drive is not stable if it is attached to a laptop that is actually in your lap.

I'm surprised I didn't use up all three installation, because I tried repeatedly to install it various ways.

I finally installed it on my work laptop, which had enough memory. It doesn't even belong to me and sooner or later I will have to give back.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB portable? - 01/14/18 04:28 AM
PG Music allow you to uninstall an existing activation and install it on another computer.

Essentially you can have up to three simultaneous installations - as long as they are all on the end licensee's own systems.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB portable? - 01/14/18 10:47 AM
The activation is per computer, and a file is written to your computer. That's why multiple attempts to install on that computer would not reduce your activations. As mentioned by VideoTrack, you can also deactivate a computer which will recover that activation count.
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: BIAB portable? - 01/14/18 06:25 PM
Thanks, good to know I can uninstall it and install it elsewhere.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: BIAB portable? - 01/14/18 11:07 PM
I have a working copy of version 2012. It does not appear to have an "activation" function. Registration, yes, but this is not the same.

If I recall correctly, when I re-installed v. 2012, no security routine was required.
© PG Music Forums