PG Music Home
Hi all,

Just installed BIAB 2018 and my problem is that both of my usb to midi cables will play the yellow (midi?) instrument parts but the green (realtracks?) parts do not go through my Alesis QSR rackmount synth to the amplifier. I do hear those sounds on the laptop pc that I am using. If I just play BIAB on the pc all the sounds play normally. Is there an option somewhere that I am missing that I need to turn on or off to have the green/realtracks play through my synth? This is happening with more than one set of usb to midi cables and 3 different laptop pc's.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Jim, the Green tracks are RealTracks which are actual audio recordings, and not related to MIDI at all.

They will use the computer's audio-sub-system.

Do you have an ability to connect the computer's audio to your amplifier via a mixer?
Thank you. That thought had slid by the very back of my mind...it is a usb to midi cable therefore if they are not midi sounds it ain't going out.

I do not have a 'mixer' per se but I do have a pre-amplifier and two stereo amps in the same place. Would I be able to output from the laptops stereo mini-jack to one of the pre-amp rca inputs and play through my stereo setup?

A related question would be is there a way to tell BIAB that I just want to use styles that have MIDI, and no realtrack instruments?

If I had a 'mixer'... like this:
https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-MRB3-3-Channel-Audio-Mixer/dp/B0786Q5GCL/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1515878518&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=mixer+audio+usb&psc=1

...and that would allow me to put it together with the midi output to my (guitar) amplifier?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

I would certainly try connecting the output from the laptop's stereo mini-jack to one of the pre-amp rca inputs as a starting point.

The mixer you showed should be OK, but maybe is not required.

And yes, you can choose MIDI only styles, although the RealTracks are worthy of consideration IMHO. To choose MIDI only, in the StylePicker press Clear first, then select MIDI only from the Type drop-down.

Attached picture 2018-01-14_08-29-49.jpg
What I have is a keyboard that has a midi cable to a Midiman M-Audio 2x2 box. Then the midi goes to my Alesis QSR rack synth. Then the PC laptop is attached via a USB cable to the same box. From the QSR I have a left and right output that goes to 2 guitar amplifiers. Is there a 'conventional' way to get the RealTrack sounds from my laptop sound card to merge together with the midi sound that is going to the 2 guitar amps? I do not see any way to get the sound from the laptop to the QSR so I suppose that some kind of a mixer that would be down stream from the QSR would be necessary.

Any recommendations?

I am also thinking there might be some way to improve on the sound card in my laptop by using an external soundcard that would be superior. All the external soundcards that I see though only have the mini headphone jacks.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
© PG Music Forums