PG Music Home
Posted By: Lesley55 Triple tied note? - 01/23/18 04:00 AM
I have some music that has a note tied across 4 bars. BiaB doesn't seem to want to do that.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Triple tied note? - 01/23/18 04:37 AM
Hi Lesley,

BIAB will do it. The easiest way to put it in is to use Piano Roll mode and to drag the right edge of the note across 4 bars. (See the image below.)

Also, here's a PG Music video clip on using the piano roll mode. While it's using an older version of BIAB, the process is identical today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V97VYOeotmk

To be honest, though, it's very unlikely that the note needs to be written as a hold for four bars. Depending on the tempo of the song, that would drain the wind out of most people's lungs. Usually a bar to 2 bars is a reasonable length to hold. (It's possible that the 4 bars is simply a musical convenience rather than a performance indicator.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture piano roll drag note.JPG
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: Triple tied note? - 01/23/18 05:14 AM
It does seem odd.

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Triple tied note? - 01/23/18 05:33 AM
Lesley,

My apologies... I've added the image to my above post now.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: Triple tied note? - 01/23/18 05:48 AM
Thank you Noel, the piano roll method worked.
But I wonder if the music is correct. I'm getting light-headed trying to hold the note for that long on my chromatic harmonica.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Triple tied note? - 01/23/18 10:21 AM
I’m a horn player. That looks perfectly normal to me. Show tune: Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof. It moves along.

In BIAB, another way is to go into Editable Notation Mode and right-click on the note head. There you can specify the number of beats. In this case, something like 10 beats and 90 ticks would do it.
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: Triple tied note? - 01/24/18 11:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I’m a horn player. That looks perfectly normal to me. Show tune: Sunrise, Sunset from Fiddler on the Roof. It moves along.

In BIAB, another way is to go into Editable Notation Mode and right-click on the note head. There you can specify the number of beats. In this case, something like 10 beats and 90 ticks would do it.

A note played on a piano or guitar would not last that long, would it?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Triple tied note? - 01/24/18 11:37 PM
If you're referring to the decay time, then that can vary between instruments and how loud the note was played originally.

I could definitely imagine still hearing the note after 3 or 4 bars, even though the volume would have diminished. Certainly a piano or an electric guitar could resonate for this time.

At a tempo of 120bpm (Allegro moderato) these bars would play in about 6 seconds.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Triple tied note? - 01/25/18 01:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Lesley55
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

A note played on a piano or guitar would not last that long, would it?

Yes, sure it could. But even so, this is written for a singer. Even if you write it for another instrument, you would not change the way this famous melody was written.
Posted By: Lesley55 Re: Triple tied note? - 01/25/18 06:29 PM
According to this site:
http://www.notediscover.com/song/fiddler-on-the-roof-sunrise-sunset

the song was originally played at 96 BPM.
I made my BiaB play-along video at 100 BPM.

https://youtu.be/Aotq3bsIix0

I often have trouble deciding on tempo. I wonder if that notediscover.com site is accurate.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Triple tied note? - 01/25/18 06:32 PM
Decide on the tempo that you like and that makes you comfortable. Don’t be locked in by the original performance; make it your own.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Triple tied note? - 01/25/18 08:35 PM
Yes. Good advice. Play the song the way that you prefer.
© PG Music Forums