PG Music Home
Posted By: Narayano Muting the melody notation - 02/22/18 01:51 PM
When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing. This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

Thank you

Narayano
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Muting the melody notation - 02/22/18 02:50 PM
Hi. There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Muting the melody notation - 02/22/18 05:16 PM
Hi Matt
Thank you so much for that, I'm very grateful.

Narayano
Posted By: Narayano Re: Muting the melody notation - 02/24/18 01:20 PM
Hi Matt

The melody is being played on a piano and when I put the volume to zero the melody still plays. Also, when I hit F5 to mute nothing happens. Sorry to be slow with this.

Thanks

Narayano
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Muting the melody notation - 02/24/18 01:53 PM
You mute the piano track and you still hear the piano? I can think of a few possible reasons:

Did you Freeze any BIAB tracks? Unfreeze them.

Is this a MIDI file you got from somewhere else, not BIAB?

Do you have an audio track?

Try muting the Thru track.

Report back. We’ll get it solved.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Muting the melody notation - 02/24/18 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Narayano
Hi Matt

The melody is being played on a piano and when I put the volume to zero the melody still plays. Also, when I hit F5 to mute nothing happens. Sorry to be slow with this.

Thanks

Narayano

1:
With the song playing, solo tracks individually to absolutely identify which track exactly is playing the melody that you want to mute.

2:
Have you every exported the song or Track(s) as Audio? If so, BiaB will load and play that along with the song.

Check for any file(s) in the same folder as the BiaB song that have the same name (but a different filename extension).

Note:
Pressing F5 does not mute the song, it opens up bar settings which provides you with many options including allowing you to mute.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Muting the melody notation - 02/25/18 08:18 AM
Thank you so much guys for your invaluable help and also for your patience. I feel I'm being rather slow on this learning curve of BIAB.

Using the F5 I muted each of the instruments one by one (interestingly the melody was played by a piano although piano was not listed) and I found that by muting the "No Patch" then the chords will play but not the melody. Great breakthrough and so helpful for this beginner.

I'm trying to make a backing track for Danny Boy to accompany me on the chromatic harmonica that I am learning to play and with your help this should now be achievable.

Thanks again

Narayano
© PG Music Forums