PG Music Home
Posted By: ShaunHH default noname.sgu file - 02/28/18 03:51 AM
Hi all,

Probably another simple question... :-)
Can I set the default noname.sgu file that loads with BIAB?
I made some changes that I want BIAB to default to and saved as NONAME.SGU, but BIAB doesn't load my modified file (instead loading the default file with the C chord).

Is it just that BIAB loads its default file from a different directory?

Many thanks,

Shaun
Posted By: jford Re: default noname.sgu file - 02/28/18 10:02 AM
I don't think BIAB actually loads a file from disk called no name. That's just the default name for what's in memory.

What I do is to create a file with my default file settings, save it, then make it read only. Then I launch BIAB from Windows Explorer by double clicking the file. Since it's read only, that forces me tho "save as" so I don't overwrite it.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: default noname.sgu file - 02/28/18 01:39 PM
Hello ShaunHH and welcome to the forum!

Press Ctrl + E or got to Options > Preferences to open the preference window. There are a few selections that you can change to control what is loaded when Band-in-a-Box opens. I've marked them in red in the screenshot below.

Always save song with "U" extension I leave checked. That way as I find and load older BiaB song files from the internet the song files will be saved with the MGU or SGU file extension that is more common today. The other file extensions were used as memory aids to help users remember which MIDI style was used to create the song.

At program bootup ... I set to Don't open song or style. That way the program always opens with the defaults of no song project and the zzjazz.sty Jazz swing style. When I'm working on a song project I'll change this setting to Open previous song. That way the program opens right where I stopped last session.

Bootup in the directory of the last session is checked. I make a folder (directory) for each song project. EVERYTHING having to do with the song is copied and saved to the song project directory. The song project directory is stored on the windows desktop until completed and then archived to multiple locations. While working on a project I frequently save the project under a new name. Band-in-a-Box will load the last saved project when a new session starts.

I have allow multiple instances of BiaB to run so I can copy chord progressions between projects.

I have allow fast bootups enabled because my computer can handle it.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: ShaunHH Re: default noname.sgu file - 03/01/18 03:11 AM
Hi,
this seems like a very useful idea - and I can have multiple files which can serve as templates which are easily accessible!

Many thanks!

Shaun.
Posted By: ShaunHH Re: default noname.sgu file - 03/01/18 03:53 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your very detailed reply! Makes it so clear with your screenshots as well.
And thanks for the tip about running multiple instances of BIAB - I never realised you could do that!

Many thanks,

Shaun.
© PG Music Forums