PG Music Home
Posted By: Phil Leith More (much more) audio than bars written - 03/30/18 11:36 AM
Ok, so I've got this song. 125 BPM. 89 bars. That should come in at just under 3 minutes. And that's how much actual music it produces. The indicator at the top in BIAB says 1x88 (with the standard 1 bar ending, bringing it up to 89 total bars). 92 bars show up in white, 90-92 show blank, everything else is greyed out.

But it renders to something closer to a 7:44 minute file, with silence at the end for the last 4:45 or so.

My THEORY is it has something to do with the solo, which is muted except for a middle 8. But I could be wrong.

This sound familiar to anybody out there? Where do I look?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: More (much more) audio than bars written - 03/30/18 01:12 PM
Hi Phil,

To test your theory about the solo, right-click on the solo track's name in the mixer and then, under the menu choice "Track Actions", save it as a wav file. You can then load that wav into an audio editor and check its length.

Alternatively, if you have BIAB (Windows), then you will also have Realband. Using Realband, you could open the MGU or SGU file directly, generate the song, and check the length of each of the individual tracks.

After thinking about it, one way that your problem could have arisen is that in the early days of your song's creation, the number of choruses was set to 3. This is the default value. From what you describe above, it sounds like you now have this set to 1. If, however, you created a solo when the number of choruses was set to 3 and then froze the track, something like what you describe could potentially happen.

It would help greatly if you can post an image of your BIAB chordsheet when the program is in standard view. The image below shows what I'm meaning. To do this (I'm assuming that you run Windows in the below)...

1. Load the problem song.

2. Use CTRL+T to toggle screen view until your chordsheet looks similar to the image below.

3. Capture the desktop view as an image using Printscreen or the Snipping tool.

4. If you used printscreen, open Microsoft Paint and paste the screen capture into Paint (CTRL+V to paste).

5. Save it as a jpg file.

6. Go to the link below and follow the instructions on how to post an image in the forum.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=386690#Post386690

An image similar to the one shown below is what I'm looking for.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture screen capture.jpg
I'll bet that's it. I'll have to check when I get home. Thank you!
Well ... I pulled it into RealBand, and it wasn't at all what I expected. It did end after 90 bars, though.

It gets weirder. It says there's no soloist part. I'm thinking maybe it's because of the type of solo I generated... like... I forget ... was it "Generate Guitar Chord Solo"? And it put it in as a second guitar track, which I muted except for the middle 8.

So, under soloist, no soloist found. But under Mixer ... guitar 2 says 364: Guitar, Acoustic, Finger-Picking Ev 065 [Soloist].

In the end, both in RealBand and in BB, it only plays for about 3 minutes. But it generates a 7:45 Wav or MP3

The whole chord sheet won't fit on my screen for a screen shot. Looks like I can't attach an image, I have to upload it somewhere and link it?
I think this will post it...

Attached picture chord sheet.JPG
And yet when I save the BB file that says there's no soloist track, it tells me the soloist track has been frozen.

So I'm a little confused.
Ah. Under the "soloist" button dropdown in the upper right, I can pick an option to pick a soloist and it brings up the menu and shows the one I picked. So maybe I didn't do the generate chord solo. I don't know.

But when I go to the soloist menu at the top, where classic windows menus are, and say, go to quantize the solo, or do anything else to the solo, it says there's no solo.
Aaaand now the issue seems to have disappeared.

Oh well. I've worked in IT since 1988. I've seen weirder things.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: More (much more) audio than bars written - 03/30/18 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Phil Leith
Aaaand now the issue seems to have disappeared.

Oh well. I've worked in IT since 1988. I've seen weirder things.

Yes... where computers are involved there are always inexplicable surprises around the next corner!

Glad it's working for you.

Regards,
Noel

Hi Phil,

Glad you got it working!

If this happens to you again, please freeze the tracks in your song and send the file to support@pgmusic.com.

If there's a weird rendering bug I'd like to track it down as soon as possible. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums