PG Music Home
Posted By: danycom Using biab repeats - 04/11/18 02:54 PM
I am new to BIAB. It strikes me as a very powerful program, but the price of power is often complexity... What is the benefit of creating repeats if I can enter all my chords in linear mode? Tks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Using biab repeats - 04/11/18 03:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Each song defaults to three times through, or a chorus (which here is defined as once through the song form, like AABA) and two repeats. You have control over changing that. Many of us will on occasion do the Edit, Song Form, Unfold and make it one long song, so we can control every bar. Others just use the repeats because it's convenient. I think you will find BIAB full of options, and although it can be complex to learn as you say, you will welcome having choices.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Using biab repeats - 04/11/18 03:21 PM
In addition to good information above, be aware that the song length of one chorus is limited to 255 bars.

However, if you do use multiple choruses, and had 2 choruses of a 250 bar medley, it would play for 500 bars.

Welcome also.
Posted By: danycom Re: Using biab repeats - 04/11/18 05:23 PM
Thank you Matt and VideoTrack.
Yvan
Posted By: Dave Re: Using biab repeats - 04/11/18 05:26 PM
I use repeats, as in first / second ending, DS al coda, etc., to create a workable, 2 page fake sheet. I may start with a song using the built in repeats and expand it, or more often just create it in linear form, and tweak it as needed.

Repeats handled this way are really a print function and have no influence on how the song plays. The nice part of that is if you get it wrong, and you almost always will at some point, you can delete the 'repeat' coding and fix it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Using biab repeats - 04/11/18 06:44 PM
Yvan,

I'm a firm believer in linear mode.

Laying out a song in one single 'once through', gives a whole heap of control of the arrangement that repeats do not.

My take on this is...

Linear mode is like an orchestra score... it starts at the beginning and goes all the way to the end with no flipping pages back and forth. Repeats are a notation device that allows publishers to use as few pages as possible when notating the music.

Here's a typical example of how I set out a song.

https://vimeo.com/142767138

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums