PG Music Home
Posted By: Narayano Choosing a Style - 05/12/18 08:04 AM
I'm wondering how many different ways there are for selecting a style. I know that I can look through the different categories, or I can enter the name of a song and this is sometimes recognized although not so much for traditional folk music or I can enter the name of an instrument and some styles are shown. If I want a style in a particular time, lets say 3/4 time, is this possible?
Many thanks
Narayano
Posted By: babarton Re: Choosing a Style - 05/12/18 09:00 AM
What version of BIAB are you using? On the current version, the style picker allows you to filter by time signature using buttons at the top of the screen. So, yes, you can easily look at 3/4 styles.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Choosing a Style - 05/12/18 11:40 AM
I have the 2018 MegaPak and yes, I can see how to do that now. Easy when you know how. Many thanks.

Narayano
Posted By: babarton Re: Choosing a Style - 05/13/18 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Narayano
I have the 2018 MegaPak and yes, I can see how to do that now. Easy when you know how. Many thanks.

Narayano

Cool! There's a lot of features in BIAB, but sometimes figuring out how to do something is NOT very intuitive. Don't hesitate to ask. We've all been there!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Choosing a Style - 05/13/18 01:00 PM
You know how skiing is easy? To people who have been skiing for 10 years?

The PG software is exactly like that. The first time you "strap the skis on", it is not easy. 3 or 4 songs later you have somewhat of a handle on it. 10 songs later you know it much better. 50 more songs later you are writing your own manual about it!!

But that style picker can appear daunting because of how many options there are. Then factor in someone who doesn't know shuffle from swing from boogie, and the terms that are ambiguous (what does "roadhouse" mean to someone who doesn't know music?) and it can become muddy. It can be like trying to describe "red" to a blind person. Or to a person who CAN see but not being allowed to use examples, like "You know what color an apple is? That's red." So when a style references Mark Knofler or the Stones Honky Tonk Woman, and you don't know what those mean, the descriptions mean nothing.

I had YEARS of experience before I bought the software, and I was able to slog my way into creating a song in about 15 minutes, but the song itself was awful. I just picked SOME style to see the software generate, time how long it took, etc.... Then I had a member here remote in to my computer and show me some things about gain changing and such and that helped a lot. That was 7 years ago and now, despite still only scratching the surface as well as having little interest in a lot of the features, I have turned out some pretty decent work with it.

So, like with anything else in life, experiment, make mistakes (once), and learn from them. With every new thing you learn and every song you write, you will get better. The more you golf, the better golfer you become!
Posted By: Narayano Re: Choosing a Style - 05/13/18 04:34 PM
Thanks for that Eddie - very appreciated and very encouraging.
© PG Music Forums