PG Music Home
Or make the notes appear one octave lower than what is played.
Is it a MIDI track?
Yes.
hope i understood your question:

is the solo track being played " midi " track or an " audio "

because only " midi " notes can be changed
It is actually the piano track. But it is where I entered the notes myself. I'm sure it is midi.

I think I remember seeing somewhere that this can be done, but I'm searching all over and can't find it.
Options, Preferences, Channels ***. Add 1 to the number in the 2nd column for the track you want to change. You may want to also invoke a transposition of an octave down, to restore the pitch to the original register.

Is this because guitar sounds an octave lower than written?

*** assumes Windows version. If Mac, please specify.
Hi Lesley,

Because BIAB, by default, names tracks after the instrument that appears on them, could I get you please to turn off this automatic naming process. BIAB will then revert to it's original static track names.

To do this, deactivate the two options shown on IMAGE 1 below.

Now...

If the name of the track is either Melody or Soloist, then the octave adjustment is found under the top menu.

IMAGE 2 shows how to transpose MIDI information on the the Melody track. The Soloist menu item also has this feature for the Soloist track.

Lastly...

If the track is neither the Melody nor the Soloist track, then the only way to change the octave is "Preferences | Channels". This setting is permanent until it's changed back to it's original state: -1 = one octave lower, 1 = one octave higher. This is shown on IMAGE 3. I've highlighted the Guitar track.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I see Matt was typing at the same time I was!

Description: IMAGE 1... disable automatic naming of tracks to reflect instruments on the track. (The track will revert to BIAB's original static track names.)
Attached picture autoname track labels preferences.JPG

Description: IMAGE 2... transposing a MIDI melody on the Melody track.
Attached picture transpose octave.JPG

Description: IMAGE 3... setting the octave for MIDI tracks in "Preferences | Channels"
Attached picture setting octave.JPG
Yes, but you type in annotated pictures, Noel!
Thank you Matt and Noel! Mission accomplished!
Noel, I did as you advised, and what was labeled as a piano track is now labeled Melody, which makes a lot more sense since that is where the melody is.

Then I followed Matt's instructions (which are nicely illustrated in Noel's 3rd diagram, and it changed the sound of the melody one octave higher without changing the notation.

I wanted to do it because I am using the "Sobbing Cello" style for the folk/country song "Four Strong Winds", and the melody was not standing out very well from the cello accompaniment. Since the thing I am making is for playing along with, it shouldn't really matter that the melody was subtle, but I thought perhaps someone who was unfamiliar with the melody might get confused.

Here is another example where I used Sobbing Cello, and someone on the harmonica forum I post on commented that I was not using the standard melody for "All the Pretty Little Horses". I wonder if perhaps they were listening to the cello accompaniment (which I think is very pretty) instead of the melody.
https://youtu.be/l68_Dkc7YqM

I didn't want to change the notes (on the staff) on what I am working on now, because on my chromatic harmonica I'm already playing the notes an octave higher than they are written. The first book I used said this was the correct way to do it, but it is not, of course. But it does prevent having a lot of notes that use ledger lines far above the staff. If I moved the notes up an octave I'd end up playing them an octave higher than I want to, and my dogs don't like that :-)

The chromatic harmonica (the 16 hole version) has 4 octaves of notes, and each octave follows the same pattern of blows and draws. So I should be able to jump up or down an octave easily but I find if quite confusing if I am not playing on the part of the harmonica that I have learned to associate with the notes on the staff. I also include chromatic harmonica tabs since some players use tabs instead of reading music. (One tab reader told me they were learning to read music from my videos!)

Thanks again for the help!
Originally Posted By: Lesley55
Noel, I did as you advised, and what was labeled as a piano track is now labeled Melody, which makes a lot more sense since that is where the melody is.

I always use the static names because they tie in with many BIAB settings (for example exclusions for shots, holds and rests). It also certainly helps with problem solving for everyone to be on the same page.

Originally Posted By: Lesley55
Here is another example where I used Sobbing Cello, and someone on the harmonica forum I post on commented that I was not using the standard melody for "All the Pretty Little Horses". I wonder if perhaps they were listening to the cello accompaniment (which I think is very pretty) instead of the melody.

https://youtu.be/l68_Dkc7YqM

This is a beautiful, backing.

Like you, I get the impression that the cello is what took command of the person's hearing. I suspect that they didn't appreciate that it's a backing with only a soft melody playing to act as a guide. If the piano was too loud, it would override anyone wanting to play along with the music clip.

Regards,
Noel
laugh
© PG Music Forums