PG Music Home
Posted By: jwillans Convincing endings - 06/20/18 05:17 PM
I've been using BIAB for 24hrs and I am hugely impressed with what it can do. I intend to make some Jazz piano recordings using accompaniments generated using this software, however I am struggling to get the endings sounding correct.

1) The generated endings sound borderline acceptable but I would prefer to use my own.

2) When I add my own ending, BIAB doesn't seem intelligent enough to realise that it is an ending. A simple example is that in the bass a complex rhythm generated is not typical of a closing bar, and the last note is not the tonic.

3) I've tried amending the notes of the generated bass but for some reason this is not recognized when the accompaniment is played.

My simple question is then: how do I go about making convincing endings to BIAB accompaniments in the context of Jazz trio recordings?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Convincing endings - 06/20/18 05:48 PM
Welcome! This one could take a bit of explaining, since each of us may do it differently. First, you can make your own ending instead of accepting the built-in 2 or 4-bar ending BIAB provides by default. Go to Song Settings (Ctrl+N) to see some options in the lower left corner.

I often like to turn off the built-in ending and hold a chord at the end. You can do this easily by typing three periods at the end of the chord, ex. D7...

If you use a hold, make sure to set the ending bar well after it. This can be done by Bar at End of Chorus on the main chord screen, or by the options in the Tag if you use one (also in Song Settings).

If the bass plays the wrong note on an ending chord, force it by using slash root chords, ex. D7/G forces a G in the bass.

There's more, but let's start with that.
Posted By: jwillans Re: Convincing endings - 06/21/18 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Welcome! This one could take a bit of explaining, since each of us may do it differently. First, you can make your own ending instead of accepting the built-in 2 or 4-bar ending BIAB provides by default. Go to Song Settings (Ctrl+N) to see some options in the lower left corner.

I often like to turn off the built-in ending and hold a chord at the end. You can do this easily by typing three periods at the end of the chord, ex. D7...

If you use a hold, make sure to set the ending bar well after it. This can be done by Bar at End of Chorus on the main chord screen, or by the options in the Tag if you use one (also in Song Settings).

If the bass plays the wrong note on an ending chord, force it by using slash root chords, ex. D7/G forces a G in the bass.

There's more, but let's start with that.

Thanks Matt - that's useful. I've already discovered how to create my own endings but, as indicated above, these did not sound good. However the three periods and the slash notation are approaches that I will try out.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Convincing endings - 06/21/18 12:27 PM
Yep... I often create my own endings. I add a number of measures and or turn off the canned endings.

Using the dots after the chords can be useful, but you can also program a RIT ending by changing the tempo in the bar settings. I split a single 4 beat measure into 2 two beat measures and slow the tempo dramatically from one to the next with a hold. You can hear that in a few of my songs. I also use midi and live instruments along with the BB tracks to add interesting aspects to the ending.

If you can imagine it, there's a way to get it done. You just have to think out of the box to do it in most cases. But, done right, it's worth the time. I sometimes spend more time on the ending of the song than I do on the entire rest of it.
Posted By: jwillans Re: Convincing endings - 06/21/18 08:05 PM
Thanks for all your help - I've managed to get a decent ending. 24hr into using BIAB and I have a first recording (with a little help from a piano and Reaper):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hkI7X6abtbnzGkUK7rQcYOolYpN7YDRz/view
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Convincing endings - 06/22/18 11:35 AM
Originally Posted By: jwillans
Thanks for all your help - I've managed to get a decent ending. 24hr into using BIAB and I have a first recording (with a little help from a piano and Reaper):

well there you go!!! that was very cool. and the ending is excellent.... a bit of a slow down.... sweet.

Are you playing the piano all the way through?
Posted By: jwillans Re: Convincing endings - 06/22/18 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

well there you go!!! that was very cool. and the ending is excellent.... a bit of a slow down.... sweet.

Are you playing the piano all the way through?

Many thanks - yes I'm playing the piano all the way through with BIAB providing the drum and bass only. Here is the same recording on my YouTube channel:

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Convincing endings - 06/22/18 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: jwillans

Congratulations on your first recording. It sounded excellent to my ears.
Posted By: w Re: Convincing endings - 06/22/18 05:48 PM
That was a cool jazz version of a very old a famous song.

Great backing tracks with choice of drums and bass.

Cool piano playing.

Congratulations !

Perhaps you could post the url to your uTube channel.
Posted By: jwillans Re: Convincing endings - 06/22/18 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: w
That was a cool jazz version of a very old a famous song.

Great backing tracks with choice of drums and bass.

Cool piano playing.

Congratulations !

Perhaps you could post the url to your uTube channel.

Wow - many thanks for all your kind comments. Here is a link to my YouTube channel - although most of the videos are solo piano (I anticipate more BIAB supported material in the neat future!):

James Willans YouTube channel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Convincing endings - 06/22/18 06:29 PM
Very impressive, what a great start smile
© PG Music Forums