PG Music Home
Posted By: goofeyfoot Fingerpicking notation - 08/15/18 09:22 AM
I have a question about entering fingeripicking in notation format.

Quite often I will encounter tablature and even create some myself based on a finger picking pattern.

Most ofingerpicking parts have the equivalent of two parts. In other words you have a back-and-forth base line on the bottom, and you also have a melodic top line on the top.

When you enter notation in band in a box, it doesn’t look at the world that way. It just sees a flurry of notes and it yields some conflicting and sometimes confusing tablature.

Is there a way to orchestrate the notes so that the bottom line in the top line are more or less independent?

You see that all the time in professionally done notation. I just don’t know if it’s possible with band in a box.

Thanks.

Michael
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: Fingerpicking notation - 08/15/18 12:48 PM
Hi Michael,

What I do is break up the finer picking pattern into two parts. I notate the bass (thumb) part on the soloist track, and then the melody (fingers) on the melody track. You can then print out a lead sheet with just those two parts. You can also hear both parts played together.

It's the best you can do in BIAB without getting a separate tab notation program.

Frank
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Fingerpicking notation - 08/15/18 02:10 PM
Thanks.

That is a really good idea and it seems to work very well in the base line which is just regular eighths notes.

However for the melody line, I am trying to get to eighth note triplets. And for some reason for notation and play back I get 16th notes.

I’m doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

Thanks again.

Michael
Posted By: Dave Re: Fingerpicking notation - 08/15/18 03:55 PM
pick a swing style rather than an even style, or change the print option to triplet
© PG Music Forums