PG Music Home
Posted By: Narayano Staff Roll - 08/19/18 12:03 PM
May I please ask how to use the Staff Roll to tie two notes. I have a G that continues into the next bar but is played as a separate note.
I have BIAB Ultrapak 2018 (520) using Windows 10.

Thank you.

Narayano
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Staff Roll - 08/19/18 08:05 PM
Suggest that you remove the note in the next bar and extend the length of the note in the first bar. There are several ways to do this, but in edit mode, right-click and edit the note. You can change the length from there. You can also do this in the piano roll (might be easier)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Staff Roll - 08/20/18 01:04 AM
I think Trevor's approach is easiest but I sometimes use Staff Roll Mode too (as you mentioned).

To do this,

1) delete the second (repeated) note

1) activate Staff Roll Mode as shown on the image below

2) left-click on the centre of the note-head, hold the mouse button down and drag the horizontal blue line to the right for as long as you want the note to be held

Here's a Youtube clip to help. Even thought it shows an older version of BIAB, the process is identical today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNyUl7yPHMw

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture staff roll note length.JPG
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Staff Roll - 08/20/18 11:39 AM
Thanks Noel for the even better approach. Your illustration and reference is appreciated. Time is pretty tight at the moment for me.
That should get the O/P sorted hopefully.
Thanks again
Trev
Posted By: Narayano Re: Staff Roll - 08/22/18 07:42 AM
Thank you - works a treat smile

Narayano
Posted By: jford Re: Staff Roll - 08/22/18 04:54 PM
Depending on the amount of editing to do, I use both methods (edit the note length as Trevor explained by selecting it and selecting "edit" from the popup menu), as well as dragging notes to different durations (as Noel explained).

Two ways to accomplish the same goal.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Staff Roll - 08/23/18 08:07 AM
I have used the staff roll to extend the length of the note and this works okay but I have just noticed that although the song is in 4/4 time, when I now go into Editable Notation Mode I still have four beats but each beat now has 3 vertical lines instead of the 4 that were there originally. Apart from changing the ending I haven't made any other changes.

Grateful for some help with this.

Narayano
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Staff Roll - 08/23/18 08:24 AM
This feature is set by the style (or notation options).

If you use a SW8 (swing 8) or SW16 (swing 16) style, the beats will be groups of 3. If you use an EV8 (even 8) or EV16 (even 16) styles, the beats will be in groups of 4.

To set this manually...

1) enter notation mode

2) select OPT at the top of the staff -- this will take you to "Notation Window Options"

3) the top left checkbox is called "Triplet Resolution"... activating this will tell BIAB to show beats as groups of 3 and deactivating sets BIAB to show beats as groups of 4.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Narayano Re: Staff Roll - 08/23/18 11:21 AM
Brilliant!! Thank you Noel. You guys really are life savers smile

Kind Regards

Narayano
© PG Music Forums