PG Music Home
Posted By: rockmarcus28 What music should my band play? - 09/19/18 09:29 PM
My band has been invited to play at this event for a foreign affair matchmaker company. We usually play alt-rock songs, both original compositions and covers, but I suppose we gotta tone it down a bit for a socials event. I know it seems like we’re selling out, but we have to be realistic here. Our band needs the money to finance our studio time, plus other expenses for our equipment. What music should my band play? I need suggestions in the form of musicians or bands that would fit in with this type of event. Thanks!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: What music should my band play? - 09/20/18 09:52 PM
I've got to tell you, there is another thread on this forum that is almost word for word the same question. The answers ranged the full spectrum from don't sell out to you can't do anything if you don't have the money so you really should take the job.

I'd ask how the customer heard about you. That might provide a hint as to what the customer is thinking.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: What music should my band play? - 09/20/18 10:11 PM
Hi Rockmarcus28,

Here's a link to that previous thread, I'd check out the replies there:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=483510#Post483510

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: What music should my band play? - 09/20/18 10:19 PM
Oops, both users have email addresses from the same matchmaking website lol

Good catch, Jim laugh
Posted By: David Snyder Re: What music should my band play? - 09/21/18 10:31 AM
Play Stairway to Heaven 28 times as a midi polka in 3/4.

You'll be good.

Also check out TROLL.sty from the new Troll Styles Pak.

It will be a perfect fit.
Posted By: MarioD Re: What music should my band play? - 09/21/18 10:45 AM
When I was booking for my wedding band my rule of thumb was don't take a job that you already were not prepared to play. We had a very large rep but if someone called and said they wanted only a country band, rock band, jazz band, etc for their wedding I would turn them down. We played a little of everything and we would not play one genre all night long. This worked for us as we were booked more than we really wanted to be booked. But the money was good! YMMV.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: What music should my band play? - 09/21/18 11:07 AM

Muskrat Love. Play it all night long.

You'll be a hit.

Post the same question here again in another month and I may have a few more good ideas.
© PG Music Forums