PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitar Harry File extension and icons - 12/05/18 07:12 PM
Hi guys and girls,

Thanks to this forum I have learned the difference between mgu and sgu files. But why do some files I download have a neat little icon? When I look in file properties these are called Band in a Box songs.

Huh?

Clearly this is another file type. But what is the purpose of this and the tidy little icon associated with it?

cheers
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: File extension and icons - 12/05/18 11:41 PM
The answer to your question may be related to whether the file name extensions are associated with BiaB. These can be turned on/off:

Attached picture 2018-12-06_13-40-43.jpg
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: File extension and icons - 12/06/18 11:29 AM
Guitar Harry:

When you perform the Associate File Types in BIAB, it changes some information in the Windows Registry so that any file with the following extensions will automatically open up in BIAB when they are double clicked in your File Explorer program.

Those possible extensions are as follows:

MG1 MG2 MG3 MG4 MG5 MG6 MG7 MG8 MG9 MGA MGB MGC MGD MGE MGF MGG MGH MGI MGJ MGK MGL MGM MGN MGO MGU MGX

SG1 SG2 SG3 SG4 SG5 SG6 SG7 SG8 SG9 SGA SGB SGC SGD SGE SGF SGG SGH SGI SGJ SGK SGL SGM SGN SGO SGU

These extension are all hold-overs from way back in BIAB's history and you will rarely see some of them used today.

As Video Track stated, they can be either be toggled on or off depending on your choice. I have a rather large collection of songs I have collected over the past 30+ years and many of them have odd extensions so I just keep them turned on by default.

If they are turned off and you happen to double click on a song file via File Explorer, Windows will not know what program to use to run the file and will let you know via a popup window each time until they are re-associated.
Posted By: Guitar Harry Re: File extension and icons - 12/07/18 05:29 PM
I went to file utilities and turned on the Windows associations as suggested but nothing changed: every time I open a file I get a pop up window and have to tell the computer that it needs to use BIAB. I thought this was normal. I didn't know that BIAB should automatically open when I click a BIAB file. Well, it doesn't anyway so it is a moot point I guess.

It would make life a little easier if this was the case, that the application opened when I double click an associated song. I must have done something wrong.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: File extension and icons - 12/07/18 05:50 PM
Guitar Harry, the developers are aware of our comments about this general area (file associations and icons). I'm sure it will be sorted out soon.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: File extension and icons - 12/07/18 05:57 PM
Guitar Harry,

Just a thought, but it might be necessary to reboot before the changes will take affect, not certain.

A warm Oklahoma "How y'all, and welcome!"
Posted By: Teunis Re: File extension and icons - 12/07/18 06:49 PM
You could try a right click “Open With” find your BB then tick always use this program for this file type box.

Just a thought. Whilst there are heaps of extensions how many do you actually have.

Tony
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: File extension and icons - 12/07/18 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Guitar Harry, the developers are aware of our comments about this general area (file associations and icons). I'm sure it will be sorted out soon.

With Matt AND Support on it, it definitely will get sorted.

Every new release is plagued by warts but PG Support is great!

You can disregard my suggestion knowing you are in competent hands.
© PG Music Forums