PG Music Home
Posted By: tigersoul Do I dare trying to remote duplicates? - 01/03/19 02:51 PM
Hey folks,

I recently shook life into my old BIAB installation (well a few years old anyway). I have installed a lot of user styles and random stuff people created on the Internet as well as upgraded from an older version at some point. The result is now that I have a bit of a mess and duplicates of some files:

.st2, .st3, .xt2 are both hanging around c:\bb as well as c:\bb\Soloists
.sty, .stx are both in c:\bb as well as c\bb\Styles

Some of these files exist in duplicates between the two folders. Probably from upgrading from older versions.

Would it be safe to:
- move all .st2, .st3 and .xt2 to the Soloists subfolder, eliminating duplicate files
- move all .sty and .stx files to the Styles subfolder, eliminating duplicate files

Or would this break something?

- Does BIAB expect some .st, st3 or .xt2 files to exist in the root while other such files should be in the soloists subfolder? or does either work?
- Does BIAB care if sty and stx files are in the root or the Styles subfolder? or doesn't it matter which?

I can't remember from the last installation whether realtrack installations etc put files in both the root folder as well as a subfolder or if that's a behavior that changed in later versions. I could of course just reinstall it all but the download is absolutely huge and I'm currently on a mobile connection.

Have a good one!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Do I dare trying to remote duplicates? - 01/03/19 05:24 PM
What version of BIAB are you currently running?
Posted By: w Re: Do I dare trying to remote duplicates? - 01/03/19 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: tigersoul
Hey folks,

I recently shook life into my old BIAB installation (well a few years old anyway). I have installed a lot of user styles and random stuff people created on the Internet as well as upgraded from an older version at some point. The result is now that I have a bit of a mess and duplicates of some files:

.st2, .st3, .xt2 are both hanging around c:\bb as well as c:\bb\Soloists
.sty, .stx are both in c:\bb as well as c\bb\Styles

Some of these files exist in duplicates between the two folders. Probably from upgrading from older versions.

Would it be safe to:
- move all .st2, .st3 and .xt2 to the Soloists subfolder, eliminating duplicate files
- move all .sty and .stx files to the Styles subfolder, eliminating duplicate files

Or would this break something?

- Does BIAB expect some .st, st3 or .xt2 files to exist in the root while other such files should be in the soloists subfolder? or does either work?
- Does BIAB care if sty and stx files are in the root or the Styles subfolder? or doesn't it matter which?

I can't remember from the last installation whether realtrack installations etc put files in both the root folder as well as a subfolder or if that's a behavior that changed in later versions. I could of course just reinstall it all but the download is absolutely huge and I'm currently on a mobile connection.

Have a good one!

Welcome to the PG forums .

It would be helpful if you provided us with more information .

For example, what version of Band in a Box you are working with and also what version is your Operating System .

Excuse me for duplicating Noel's request for additional information .
Posted By: tigersoul Re: Do I dare trying to remote duplicates? - 01/04/19 08:23 AM
It's the 2018 windows version, and I believe it was updated from at least one earlier version some time back, would guess 2014 which likely explains the duplicates.

OS Windows 7.
In 2018, a new feature was added to better catalog all of the files into a structured set of sub-folders.

You can actuate it if necessary from the Help > Utilities > Run Cleanup route... option.

It may do some (most?) of the reorganizing and tidying up for you.
Posted By: tigersoul Re: Do I dare trying to remote duplicates? - 01/04/19 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
In 2018, a new feature was added to better catalog all of the files into a structured set of sub-folders.

You can actuate it if necessary from the Help > Utilities > Run Cleanup route... option.

It may do some (most?) of the reorganizing and tidying up for you.

Holy f**** s**** that was efficient. It literally did exactly what was needed in 10 seconds.

THANKS!

had no idea.
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.
© PG Music Forums