PG Music Home
Posted By: rwkt POWERTRACK RECORDING METER ????? - 03/13/20 06:19 PM
Hi all.

I have had the powertrack pro since the floppy disk days, which I still have.

For all the recording equipment that I have and have had, I have never made head or tails with the recording meter in powertrack.

I record everything as precisely as I can, setting levels from source level, to mixer level, then output lever to record.

Somehow I was never happy with the readout on the view meter and its accuracy, always worried that I am underfeeding or hitting distortion.

Many systems will tell you to stay below amber and stay in green, as bordering on amber is leading into distortion and close to clipping.

How accurate is accurate.

I am sure somebody would know the answer to this in this forum, thnk you.

Regards

Roman
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: POWERTRACK RECORDING METER ????? - 03/13/20 08:52 PM
I certainly are not able to answer about what PTP shows, but you could open an output file created from PTP in Audacity and check the levels there to see how they correspond. Also, you can check for clipping, analyze, etc.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.
Posted By: rharv Re: POWERTRACK RECORDING METER ????? - 03/14/20 08:18 AM
Powertracks does not adjust the strength of the incoming signal in its default setup.
It is handled by the selected audio device.
Trust the input levels on your audio device.

Record around -6 in PT (loudest parts) for best results.
If you have tracks around -12 they should still be good.
There is a single Clip light on the end of the meter .. try not to light that up.

This is just my experience with it, and I've probably still got a floppy copy around here somewhere too.
Digital audio is a little more forgiving these days than when it first came out, with floating point math and other improvements.
The digital 'Thwak' days are pretty much behind us. You can still cause it, but not as easily.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: POWERTRACK RECORDING METER ????? - 03/14/20 12:01 PM
I read that none of the digital meters are as accurate as the old analog VU meters in a trade mag. It went on to say that's why recording studios still rely on the analog meters.

Of course that could have been "fake news" written by a VU meter manufacturer wink

In the analog days the idea was to run the meters as high as you could including +3 figuring the slight distortion at +3 was better than the tape hiss distortion in the quiet parts.

Digital changed all that. No tape hiss and if you clip even a little bit, it isn't a slight distortion but a terrible one.

Rule #1: Run the levels in PT Pro so they never-ever light the clip light.

How high or low after that depends on the source and how I'm going to process them.

Example: If I'm going to add a touch of BBE Sonic Maximizer plug-in, I record at volumes that don't go into the red at all.

If not, I'll let it go into the first or second red indicator but keep it out of the top. Especially if there is a lot of different dynamic levels in the piece. If not, I'm less fussy about that because I can always boost it after the fact.

A nice feature of PTPro is you can always normalize. If you have one peak that is so loud it is making the rest of the track sound soft, you can also boost the volume without clipping the signal. It will in turn minimize the peak.

PTPro Audio is a nice piece of software. It's very good value for the bucks. It's not Pro Tools, but most of us do not need that much.

I've made close to 600 backing tracks for my duo http://www.s-cats.com with PTPro Audio and I'm very happy with the results.

Generally I'd say if you aren't clipping or lighting the last red indicator before clipping, you'd be fine.

Note, I'm self-taught so if an expert comes and contradicts that advice, he/she is probably correct.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums