PG Music Home
Posted By: Alison bar settings failure - 04/06/20 08:55 PM
Hi folks,
I am writing out a piece which is 3/4, but has two measures in 4/4.

i am right clicking on the appropriate measure, going to bar settings, changing the 0 to 4, and pressing ok.
The measure gets underlined in red, and when i check it, the setting for 4 beats in a measure is still there, but when i play the song, it just continues to play all measures in 3/4.
someone, please tell me what i am doing wrong!!!
thank you...
frustrated...
Alison
Posted By: MarioD Re: bar settings failure - 04/06/20 10:15 PM
Did you regenerate the song after changing the measures? If not then nothing would change.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: bar settings failure - 04/06/20 11:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Alison
Hi folks,
I am writing out a piece which is 3/4, but has two measures in 4/4.

i am right clicking on the appropriate measure, going to bar settings, changing the 0 to 4, and pressing ok.
The measure gets underlined in red, and when i check it, the setting for 4 beats in a measure is still there, but when i play the song, it just continues to play all measures in 3/4.
someone, please tell me what i am doing wrong!!!
thank you...
frustrated...
Alison

I'm presuming that you are using a 3/4 style.
In BiaB you cannot add a beat to a bar, you can only take one away.

There are two possible solutions:
1:
Add a bar at the point you want make the change to 4/4, then either make this bar 1 beat long (you will have a bar of 3/4 and a bar of 1/4), or make this and the preceding bar 2 beats long each. Both ways will give you a total of 4 beats over the two bars.

2:
Use a 4/4 style and change to 3 beats per bar at the start using F5 bar settings and then change it to 4/4 at the required bar.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: bar settings failure - 04/06/20 11:34 PM
The general rule VideoTrack is solving is that if BIAB uses both 3/4 and 4/4 in the same song, you must start in 4/4.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: bar settings failure - 04/06/20 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The general rule VideoTrack is solving is that if BIAB uses both 3/4 and 4/4 in the same song, you must start in 4/4.

Exactly. And BTW, if you choose option 2, watch out for the count-in. You probably won't like it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: bar settings failure - 04/07/20 04:28 PM
Another way to achieve your requirement is to use a 3/4 style for the song and use bar settings (F5) at the required bar and change to a 4/4 style, then back to a 3/4 style at the next required bar. However, if the styles don't match well (instrumentation etc) it can often sound as though you changed bands for those bars.
© PG Music Forums