PG Music Home
Posted By: Roycol import to BIAB [Resolved] - 05/08/21 10:30 AM
hi
I have a short midi sequence (8 bars, starting bar 3'whistle' instrument), I have imported it to realband (.seq) & it plays ok, I want it on a track in band in a box, (.mgu) starting at bar 9.
I did manage to import, somehow, not sure how, onto bar 3, but could not move it, and lost it in the end.

is there any video to help? or someone explain what I'm doing wrong.

Roy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: import to BIAB - 05/08/21 11:06 AM
Hi Roycol,

Firstly, it can be done.

Just to clarify, though...

1) Is it just a midi melody that you want to save and import into BIAB or is it chords and backing as well as the melody?

2) What version of BIAB do you have?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Roycol Re: import to BIAB - 05/08/21 11:09 AM
Noel
Yes it's a Midi melody.
BIAB 2021 with latest update.

Roy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: import to BIAB - 05/08/21 10:28 PM
Hi again, Roy.

Thanks for the update smile

There are a few ways to do this. I'll show you one that will help you get to know the software more. I'll also spread my reply across a few windows to make it easier to follow.

Let's go...

IN REALBAND

1. Click on the track containing the melody.

2. Press CTRL+A to select the whole track.

3. Now go to the "Edit" menu... select "Track | Save track to file". (see the upper image below)

4. When the Save option appears, as the lower graphic shows, select "MIDI" File as the file type (not MIDI 0 as this is an older file type).

5. Enter a name and save.

...cont'd in next window...

Attached picture saving midi track.JPG
Attached picture saving midi track 2.JPG
Posted By: Noel96 Re: import to BIAB - 05/08/21 10:29 PM
...cont'd from previous window...

IN BAND IN A BOX

1. Start a new songfile ("File | New").

This step is optional as I'll show you how I use the "Import" function. This allows a user to import the midi file into an existing project.

2. Under "File," select "Import | Import Melody from MIDI file." (See the upper graphic.)

This option lets a user import multiple MIDI tracks into a project even though its name gives the impression that it's just a single track.

3. Navigate to where you saved the MIDI file and load it.

4. You will then reach the complicated window shown in the lower graphic.

This window lets users filter MIDI data and import whichever channels s/he wants. Because we only saved a single channel in Realband, we don't need to worry about channel filtering.

5. Set the settings as I have highlighted on the lower graphic.

The Melody can be imported to any track. That said, if you import it to any BIAB main track, other than Melody or Soloist, or a Utility track, the melody will get overwritten when you generate your song unless you freeze the track it was imported to.

6. Have a look at the lower graphic and use the settings that I have.

For #3 on the graphic, you will probably need to set this to 9 because your melody starts on bar 9. If you had the melody starting on bar 9 in Realband, though, you should be able to leave this as 0. Trial and error will help you find out what works here.

For #4, disabling Patch information means that any MIDI sounds or sound changes used in Realband will not be loaded into BIAB.

...cont'd in next window...

Attached picture Import midi file 2021 (1).JPG
Attached picture importing midi melody 2021 small.jpg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: import to BIAB - 05/08/21 11:04 PM
...cont'd from previous window...

If the imported melody is loaded at the wrong bar, it's possible to time shift it.

The command to do this is found under the "Melody" menu and it can be accomplished by inserting or deleting beats. (If your song is in 4/4 then 4-beats will be one bar.)

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached picture time shift melody2.jpg
Posted By: MountainSide Re: import to BIAB - 05/09/21 12:51 PM
This is a great write-up Noel! Worthy of "tips and tricks" section. Thanks.

Jeff
Posted By: Roycol Re: import to BIAB - 05/09/21 01:13 PM
Noel
That was a great description.
Worked a treat.
The only problem was the original midi was in E & I imported it into a file in C, so it didn't sound right!
One I realised this & re imported, it was great!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: import to BIAB - 05/09/21 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
This is a great write-up Noel! Worthy of "tips and tricks" section. Thanks.

Jeff

Hey Jeff!

Thanks! I'll do that as soon as I get a chance.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: import to BIAB - 05/09/21 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Roycol
Noel
That was a great description.
Worked a treat.
The only problem was the original midi was in E & I imported it into a file in C, so it didn't sound right!
One I realised this & re imported, it was great!

Hi Roy.

I'm glad it all worked out for you. Hopefully you've also learnt a thing or two about the software that you might not have known previously!

Best regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums