https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK6tcgsKgps

Things that make you go "What The......"

smile
Songwriting Tip #2: Learn How to Sing WITH a Lady

Hot Legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPCz_rYRSM

Things that make you go "Just kill me now..."

Just Sayin... cool
I've seen that Voodoo Child clip before. She is awesome! She has played with Michael Jackson and Alice Cooper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orianthi

This is just my take and I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers at all :-)

To me this seems more like it would belong in the YouTube section of the Forum then here. I guess you sort of made it about songwriting but it felt a bit forced to me. It feels more like two videos you like that have extremely talented people in them and you wanted people to see it. Especially since she also posted some of this in the post Sundance started.

Anyway I really mean no offense by it just thinking of new members coming here. I actually love both videos they're both really impressive and fun to watch! Thanks for sharing them!
I was actually being stone-cold serious, while attempting to also be humorous--cause there has been some heavy stuff on here man.

I have seen some webinar and lectures and songwriting books go on and on FOREVER with ceaseless debate on you need to do this, that and the other thing to write a song.

Sometimes, I think you just need to plug it in, turn it up to 11 and play the living ..... out of it.

It will free you up and I guaran' dang tee you that you WILL write a song. Maybe not a good song, but you will have fun and you will regain your sanity. Then, when your mind is clear, you will be able to pick up your notepad again and get back to business. But in order to stay in the zone, sometimes you just got to crank it up.

This is my Christmas Blessing and Wish for All Songwriters.

Plug it In. Turn it Up. Go Crazy. Go Free.

You will write better.

I promise.

smile

Quote:
I was actually being stone-cold serious, while attempting to also be humorous--cause there has been some heavy stuff on here man.

I have seen some webinar and lectures and songwriting books go on and on FOREVER with ceaseless debate on you need to do this, that and the other thing to write a song.

Agreed. I feel there something to be said for technique, but no in absence of feel.

Quote:
Sometimes, I think you just need to plug it in, turn it up to 11 and play the living ..... out of it.

It will free you up and I guaran' dang tee you that you WILL write a song. Maybe not a good song, but you will have fun and you will regain your sanity. Then, when your mind is clear, you will be able to pick up your notepad again and get back to business. But in order to stay in the zone, sometimes you just got to crank it up.

Very true!

Quote:
This is my Christmas Blessing and Wish for All Songwriters.

Plug it In. Turn it Up. Go Crazy. Go Free.

You will write better.

I promise.

smile

Well said. I think that explanation up front would have made all the difference for me reading it! I can tell you hearing Steve Vai again made me want to play...and I play drums! That's how good of guitarist he is! wink

Blessings to you as well!
I have to admit that a great performance, whether instrument, vocal, whatever, has inspired me to write something when I wasn't even thinking about it. So...I get it, David. Sometimes blowing out the carbon can be inspiring. Also, I got the humor, as you knew I would.

Later 'tater, cool
BB
David, I'm glad you explained your intent because when I first saw this I didn't get the point and thought it should have been in the best of youtube too.

I admire great players. They can be inspiring. I'm not a great player, never was and never will be - thank God and PG music for BIAB and real tracks so I don't have to be. So playing lead guitar with abandon is not something I could ever do if I wanted to even back when I still played my acoustic guitar and I've never set any keyboards on fire with my deft fingers either... shocked

What I can do really well is hear music in my head and play enough to get my ideas down. And I am a world class cut and paster. cool LOL!

I'm glad I don't have to be a great musician to get into the zone. Some don't play at all - if you're Bernie you just need to click with an Elton.

I think there are as many ways to be inspired and get out of yourself as their are personalities. Playing with abandon or noodling are ways, and so is a walk, a sunset, a book, a movie, a silly hat or goofy socks....

Whatever floats your boat. smile
I am also not seeing how someone playing covers is a songwriting tip. smile
Man, I think I can get kind of goofy sometimes, and I think this is definitely one of those times.

So.....Never mind???

smile

Happy Holidays.
© PG Music Forums