PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 10/10/17 03:07 AM
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 11/23/17 08:58 PM
Hi pghboemike, This is a great breakdown of his music. The Mu Major chord and how that progresses in to the verses I found quite interesting! - Thanks for sharing! smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 11/24/17 04:46 PM
It's always really interesting to see the creative process of others, but especially when it comes to music. Very interesting! Thanks for the share.
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 11/24/17 09:32 PM
Hello pghboemike!

Thanks so much for putting this together for the BIAB Tribe. I've always loved "The Dan" and disliked them for prying into my life and writing songs about it! =D

Unfortunately, (IMHO) the Classic: "Deacon Blues" was best appreciated with several glasses of your favorite drink. For me, it made me take a closer look at my life forcing me to give up the "Juice!!!"

But, to this day, I still find myself trying to capture the sound of a saxophone when playing my guitar...
Posted By: bodhi65 Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 02/04/18 03:04 PM
That was fantastic, can you direct me to more videos like this! I really enjoyed learning their techniques.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 02/05/18 06:45 AM
Always great to see the Dan brought up here (in case my handle hasn't tipped y'all off, I'm a HUGE fan! cool)
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 02/05/18 01:28 PM
This is awesome - I'm a big fan of these guys, and this was a treat to watch smile Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: ZUrlocker Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 02/05/18 08:53 PM
I heard a good interview with Donald Fagan on the RollingStone podcast. Always cool to get a glimpse into a band's workings. He talked about that Mu major chord.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song - 02/06/18 05:10 PM
Mu Major.... I remember them discussing that in Guitar Player Magazine several decades ago.

They also discussed how they write and record back in that article. On many of their tunes, no single person with the exception of Becker and Fagan ever heard the finished song before it was released. They provided just enough music... minimal tracks needed, for a given player to lay their tracks.

I don't think I've EVER heard a local NC band play any of their songs. It's just too difficult for the average bar band to try to do and do a good job on it. And the Dan themselves said when they hit the clubs and hear bands trying to cover their songs they "know" if the band knows what they're doing if they hear the Mu Major or just the plain vanilla major chords.
© PG Music Forums