PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Titling Instrumentals - 11/21/17 03:01 PM
I write a lot of instrumentals in a wide variety of genres. For extemporaneous ones, not those written to spec or something similar, I always have a really tough time getting a decent, original title. The titles offered by BIAB rarely sound good to me. Occasionally, something will pop into my head (lots of room for lots of ideas to pop in!) that sounds terrific. But, that's more the exception than the rule.

Those of you who often or frequently compose instrumentals, how do you decide on a title? As I mentioned in the preceding paragraph, the BIAB title generator seldom gives me anything I'm happy with. Thanks in advance.

Alan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/21/17 04:32 PM
Use the generator as an idea kick starter.

Yeah, it does come up with some weird names.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 12:33 PM
Something I do is think of a hypothetical movie scene or situation that the song might be played over. From there, I choose a word or phrase that really highlights that scene and ties it together with the music.

Overall though, I try not to worry about song titles too much because I can tell that the titles of some of my favorite instrumental tunes were just arbitrarily chosen. Songs like Green Onions by Booker T. and The MG's, or Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. Not to mention the majority of the more modern post rock and electronic I listen to is instrumental, and those song titles are randomly chosen it would seem.

It's a cool thought though - would love to hear how others come up with their song titles!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 04:29 PM

I always like to go with Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part 5, Return of the Dove.
Posted By: bluage Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 05:37 PM
Hi, Al-David...

When it comes to titling instrumentals, I get some fairly good mileage out of thinking, "What could my song sound like to my listeners?" It seems to part the clouds and allow more inspiration in considering the wide range of associations they might make with the music...

LOREN

P.S. Ms. Diane, if you received a penny for how often you are in my thoughts, you'd have a whole mess 'a pennies! Still praying and wishing you well. I hope both of you enjoy a memorable and spiritually rewarding Thanksgiving celebration smile .
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 06:27 PM
If a song has lyrics, I might be telling a story, and I can pull my title from the lyrics, but with instrumentals, I'm trying to invoke a feeling and put the listener in a place, and my title will reflect that.

My instrumentals tend to be pretty heavy on atmosphere/ambience, and I keep their titles fairly vague (to avoid being heavy-handed), maybe just a word that I associate with that feeling. I also find that the less I really think about it, the better it tends to turn out. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 07:25 PM
But seriously, man, get the dictionary of similes on Amazon for 9.99 and you will never want for another song title in your life.

You didn't like Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part Four, Return of the Dove in Nocturne of Brazilian Sky?

I think Al DiMeola might already have claimed it though.

wink
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 10:41 PM
Thanks Herb. I often try to combine several different ones BIAB suggests.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 10:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Something I do is think of a hypothetical movie scene or situation that the song might be played over. From there, I choose a word or phrase that really highlights that scene and ties it together with the music.

Overall though, I try not to worry about song titles too much because I can tell that the titles of some of my favorite instrumental tunes were just arbitrarily chosen. Songs like Green Onions by Booker T. and The MG's, or Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin. Not to mention the majority of the more modern post rock and electronic I listen to is instrumental, and those song titles are randomly chosen it would seem.

It's a cool thought though - would love to hear how others come up with their song titles!

Hi Deryk,

Some good thoughts there! If you remember Booker T and the MGs, you're much older than I would have thought!!! I'll be 71 pretty soon and I was in high school when "Green Onions" was a big hit! And yeah, maybe I overthink it. Thanks for your input.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I always like to go with Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part 5, Return of the Dove.

Hey David,

I'm not familiar with Pink Avocado On the Moon - Part 5 or any other part. But I'll check it out. Thanks!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hi, Al-David...

When it comes to titling instrumentals, I get some fairly good mileage out of thinking, "What could my song sound like to my listeners?" It seems to part the clouds and allow more inspiration in considering the wide range of associations they might make with the music...

LOREN

P.S. Ms. Diane, if you received a penny for how often you are in my thoughts, you'd have a whole mess 'a pennies! Still praying and wishing you well. I hope both of you enjoy a memorable and spiritually rewarding Thanksgiving celebration smile .

Hi Loren.

It's always such a pleasure to hear from you - missing your wonderful music on the boards, though.

And perhaps you are right ... think of how my listeners would perceive it. Thanks for the great suggestion.

And thank you so much for your wonderful and compassionate thoughts about my wife. We both appreciate your kindness and well wishes very much. I'll bring this post to her attention tomorrow.

And, in turn, we wish you and yours a most special and blessed holiday. with warmest thoughts,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
If a song has lyrics, I might be telling a story, and I can pull my title from the lyrics, but with instrumentals, I'm trying to invoke a feeling and put the listener in a place, and my title will reflect that.

My instrumentals tend to be pretty heavy on atmosphere/ambience, and I keep their titles fairly vague (to avoid being heavy-handed), maybe just a word that I associate with that feeling. I also find that the less I really think about it, the better it tends to turn out. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Hi Kent,

So good to "meet" you. I don't think I've heard from you before. And you're probably right - don't think too much about it and just go with something. I sometimes overthink. Thanks for rattling my cage with a good thought! best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/22/17 10:53 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
But seriously, man, get the dictionary of similes on Amazon for 9.99 and you will never want for another song title in your life.

You didn't like Pink Avocado on the Moon: Part Four, Return of the Dove in Nocturne of Brazilian Sky?

I think Al DiMeola might already have claimed it though.

wink

Hey Again ,

Nope ... Pink Avocado On The Moon wasn't on my musical calendar. Perhaps I missed out on something good?

I'll run over to Amazon tomorrow and take a look at that book you suggested. Thanks for thre suggestion!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/23/17 12:34 PM
Hi Deryk,

Some good thoughts there! If you remember Booker T and the MGs, you're much older than I would have thought!!! I'll be 71 pretty soon and I was in high school when "Green Onions" was a big hit! And yeah, maybe I overthink it. Thanks for your input.

Alan

I am fairly young you could say; I'm in my mid 20's. Green Onions will always be a hit in my books smile I've just been lucky to have parents that introduced me to older music. Some of those older artists like Booker T., Everly Brothers, Bill Withers, to name a few, will always hold a special place in my heart.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/24/17 12:02 AM
Deryk,

That's really cool! Your parents are to be commended! And all of us who post on the Showcase Forum appreciate all the great feedback we get from you and the other PG Music folks who spend some time there. Thanks for all that!

Alan
Posted By: MarioD Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/24/17 11:37 AM

I am fairly young you could say; I'm in my mid 20's. Green Onions will always be a hit in my books smile I've just been lucky to have parents that introduced me to older music. Some of those older artists like Booker T., Everly Brothers, Bill Withers, to name a few, will always hold a special place in my heart.

Fairly young? I'd say that you are still a puppy!

Older music? Well if that doesn't get my dander up!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/24/17 11:40 AM
Alan, naming my/our instrumentals sometimes is the hardest part of the song. Sometimes a name comes prior to the first track, sometimes during the recording and sometimes it never comes so I/we just pick something. I know this isn't much help but that's how it rolls here.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/24/17 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Deryk,

That's really cool! Your parents are to be commended! And all of us who post on the Showcase Forum appreciate all the great feedback we get from you and the other PG Music folks who spend some time there. Thanks for all that!

Alan

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Alan - I definitely appreciate that my parents introduced me to the music they did! I'm quite happy my musical taste is as diverse as it is, and I owe a lot of that to my folks. I'm from a very musical family, so it was a big part of my upbringing.

Mario - I know, I know, I'm still a baby :P Older music is good music though! To a youngin like me anything before the 80's gets called "older music" - all about perspective though smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/27/17 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Deryk,

Alan

Alan - I definitely appreciate that my parents introduced me to the music they did! I'm quite happy my musical taste is as diverse as it is, and I owe a lot of that to my folks. I'm from a very musical family, so it was a big part of my upbringing.

Mario - I know, I know, I'm still a baby :P Older music is good music though! To a youngin like me anything before the 80's gets called "older music" - all about perspective though smile

Hi Deryk,

great to hear your family was musical and passed on some of their musical favorites to you. I started seriously listening to music in the late 1950s. Contrary to what many old farts like me think, (not referring to you, Mario!), I like to watch and listen to the evolution of the various musical genres. Pop, Country and Rock have changed dramatically over the past 50 years - Blues and Jazz much less so.

Thanks for all the work you and the other PG Staff do for us out here all over the world!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Titling Instrumentals - 11/27/17 01:13 AM
Alan, naming my/our instrumentals sometimes is the hardest part of the song. Sometimes a name comes prior to the first track, sometimes during the recording and sometimes it never comes so I/we just pick something. I know this isn't much help but that's how it rolls here.

Mario,

That's pretty much the same on this end - most often "just pick something"! Occasionally the aura of a certain piece evokes something for me, but usually it's just whatever pops into my head.

Hope your T-Day was good. Ours was. best to you, my friend.

Alan
© PG Music Forums