PG Music Home
Posted By: funkycornwall Song Promotion Ideas - 12/10/17 03:48 PM
Surely this is the burning question rather than just the actual writing of the songs. You produce some great songs and then record them to the highest level. Now how do you make sure that they get heard? Seems to me that musicians are often very bad at the promotion side of the busines even though this is the most important aspect if you want to make some money.

Do any forum members have great ideas about how to promote your music? It is difficult for the one guy or girl operation to compete with established artists since they will have teams of people managing their websites, social media, videos, song plugging etc etc.

Just thought it would be great to hear some ideas about song promotion.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/11/17 09:15 PM
Back in the "good ol' days" record companies use to spend more on marketing, promotional tours, etc than on the recordings. Today's "hot stars" are all over social media, touring radio stations and trying to get invites to morning TV shows to get face time with their audience.
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/11/17 09:39 PM
Hi Jim

I am sure you're right about this but I was wondering what peoples’ ideas were for self-promotion of songs without huge budgets and when you are not known. Even if you create your own website there are so many million sites out there that it is difficult for people to find you.

You might have created some of the best songs possible but if no one hears them then they are not going to achieve very much.

Thanks for your comment

Tony
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/11/17 10:37 PM
Tony,

To quote a highly respected member of these forums, Floyd Jane: "Nobody will buy it if they can't hear it!" ( sic )

I can probably get you airplay in New Zealand if it's Classic County. Otherwise, boldly submit it to DJs in the appropriate genre. You won't be paid but the exposure is priceless.

Be sure you have appropriate copyright protection beforehand.

Several forum members are enjoying airplay this way.

Donny
Posted By: Sundance Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/12/17 12:55 AM
You can start by putting a link to your music and/or website in your signature so it shows in every post you make. smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/12/17 04:46 PM
I don't know..... but there's a few people on FarceBook selling a course that holds the secrets of a six figure income doing nothing but music from your bedroom. For a price, you too can learn those secrets.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/26/17 09:04 PM

It's really hard.

I hate to say this but I think there might actually be too much music, really. It's hard to filter.

I put out albums using ReverbNation's service (which means it goes to Spotify too and anywhere digital music is sold) and I actually have had decent downloads on my classical stuff. Not anything great, but at least it's something. (People are downloading entire albums at least.)

I can't really do any complaining, because I don't really buy that much new music, because I can't find much new stuff I would want to buy and I have a terabyte of stuff already.

I try and go on Spotify and listen to other people and it's overwhelming--there is just SO MUCH to listen to and everyone in America has a home studio now. The market is flooded.

Almost impossible to rise against the noise without the marketing machine the labels provide.

But, once in a while someone breaks through.....
Posted By: Will Rockwell Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/29/17 10:57 AM
Remember, Lorde broke on Soundcloud
"Until last November, Ella Yelich O’Connor was just a regular teenager from New Zealand. Then she uploaded her single “Royals” to SoundCloud under the stage name Lorde and everything changed."
Listen to Royals by LordeMusic #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/lordemusic/royals-1
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/29/17 04:24 PM
A perfect example of why you should keep posting anyway!

smile

Like, I said...sometimes...

smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Song Promotion Ideas - 12/29/17 04:35 PM
Yeah... supply and demand.
© PG Music Forums