PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Why This Forum Matters - 12/27/17 12:02 PM

Hey Peeps,

I had an insight about this forum I would like to share, in terms of songwriting and the impact we all might have on the world at large as a group.

I am as guilty as anyone I suspect of spending too much time brooding on "what is going to happen with this song I just wrote" when really, that is not the larger point.

It occurred to me this morning that it is the group effort that counts. That is, one kind word about another member's song, one piece of encouragement or generous suggestion, might cause that person to write the greatest song ever written, which might then go on to have a massive impact on some stranger's life, cause someone to fall in love, or turn their life around, and literally change the course of history. Because songs do that.

OR, one kind word given to YOU might cause you to write the greatest song ever written in the coming year, and that song could go on to have an impact on untold thousands. Who knows! It happens all the time.

But the point is, it is not about any one of us, it is about all of us, the group.

That is why I think it is important to join in on the conversation on the showcase and spend as much time encouraging as showcasing--because you never know what will happen with that. Like a boomerang, the encouragement we give out to others often comes back to strike us in our very own hearts.

Just a thought as we all move into 2018 trying to conquer the world with our great new tunes!

smile

Happy New Year everyone!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Why This Forum Matters - 12/27/17 12:15 PM
Well said David, I couldn't agree more.

Hope you have a Happy New Year and I look forward to

hearing your great songs and reading your comments in 2018.
Posted By: jford Re: Why This Forum Matters - 12/27/17 12:23 PM
Absolutely; and we need that kind of attitude in all aspects of our lives.

Thanks, David!
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Why This Forum Matters - 12/27/17 12:59 PM
At our local monthly songwriting group meeting the question was asked of each of us "How do you keep motivated to write songs". There were various responses of course. A big one was encouragement from groups like this one, although I've been on numerous ones and personally I think this one is the greatest. Personally, I think this site has more experienced songwriters than some of the others I've been on. Also, it seems more people are deeply involved in this one. My motivation is that I love to write lyrics, almost driven to write. Then of course, it has to have a melody to go with it. I don't care about my songs really going anywhere, although that would be nice. I just want to be a good songwriter and like David said, maybe touch someone's heart. However, the music industry is going through a big change and we might all be on the cusp of something great, so now's the time to prepare and get that inventory. Wishing everyone on this site a creative and productive 2018.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Why This Forum Matters - 01/09/18 05:39 PM
Here’s one big amen from the balcony!!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Why This Forum Matters - 01/09/18 05:56 PM
If I were to use the term, "process," we would have an overlap, David, would we not? With respect to what we do here, I have thought a bit about aspects of the process of making music, aspects that are talked about, explained, revealed, etc. in so many varieites and ways, in this forum, that I would give the forum an A+ in process analysis; yet, it reamains informal and spontaneous. Just looking around, there are all kinds of process oriented posts, from melody math to collaboration.
As we watch BIAB develop, it is plain the creators of BIAB are quite aware of the elements of the process.
I wouldn't change a thing. The finished products are what we and others want to hear.
Good thoughts, David Snyder, and the other talented people who contributed to this thread.
Posted By: Buford Re: Why This Forum Matters - 01/12/18 07:19 AM
Very thoughtful post there, David; Ever the ethereal conscience of the PGM forums. Sitting out here in the ever-present Ganja haze that overhangs the entire state of Colorado these days, it's easy to forget the bigger picture and get stuck in the weeds of songwriting. I still fret over the process, outcome, and importance of a new song, and I suppose I always will. Although I long ago lost any illusions I had about this business of music, there's always a glimmer of hope that something will leap forward and "change the world." For now I have to be satisfied with the infrequent responses from listeners like the lady who told me I should be paying her rent...because a song I wrote made her move to Colorado. I can only imagine how many times John Denver heard THAT line.

More recently a forum member responded to my Showcase post of "Not Every Day Was Sad" with this touching comment:

"Really brings back some memories. My wife and I have been together for fifty years now. We've been up and we've been down, from living in the car broke to having a nice home paid for, but we've also had to walk away from one or two. I have to say, I don't regret any of it, because in the end we are where we are right now."

It's those responses that come back to pinch my own heart and spur me on to continue creating better songs.

It's been a lot of fun being part of the PGM forums family since back in '03, though I often fade in and out like the distant signal from a late-night radio station. I always seem to drift back in for some respite from writing and producing. One of my biggest pleasures has been helping folks with writing and production etc. We all learn from each other; I've learned a lot from you especially, David. And your humorous insights are always great way to get myself reoriented to the fun of it all.

"Change the way you look at things, the things you look at change." (Not Every Day Was Sad)

Thanks for a great, thought-provoking post.

Later 'Tater,
The Buford cool
Posted By: Al-David Re: Why This Forum Matters - 01/13/18 06:38 PM
Well said, David. Mutual respect, support and participation are the glue that holds it all together. We get a lot of that here. Even more would be even better. I know I've learned so much from the great people here. And I am forever grateful for that knowledge.

I'll be 71 years old in March. I started playing professionally in the summer of 1964 - still in high school. I've gone on to play guitar behind some amazing and very well-known folks and over the years, I've become a pretty good guitar player. But that said ... I've learned more about the "process" of music creation on these forums than I have over all those years on stage.

I appreciate the folks here and enjoy their "company". Wishing everyone a great 2018. ours started pretty rough with some very sad news; but it only gets better when it starts on the low end.

Here's hoping everyone has the best year ever in 2018.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Teunis Re: Why This Forum Matters - 01/13/18 07:38 PM
David, what you have said is spot on.

Whilst I have only recently taken part in the PG forums I have been involved in music all my life and playing semi professionly most of it. At times full time. I struggle to write anything because I always feel whatever I do sounds like something else.

That said, what I have seen here is a group of super talented folk who are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences. I do expect to hear songs/tunes that I have heard here commercially and I am excited at the possibility that I heard it here first.

I don't always say things the right way but I mean well. Thanks to all of you.

Tony
Posted By: Scott C Re: Why This Forum Matters - 01/14/18 01:23 PM
Awesome post David. I could not agree more. I have learned so much from this forum. My taste in music has grown. I must admit it does keep me going. It is so enjoyable to hear new members songs and so nice to see members return to the forum with a new tune after long absences.
© PG Music Forums