PG Music Home
This is really awesome! Thanks pghboemike!
There are some good points here but I don't agree with everything. Great for beginners though.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Holistic Songwriting composing suggestions - 03/22/18 03:53 AM
I thought it was useful to listen to an actual a song he produced. While the the production video and vocal production video are interesting, the actual song is... underwhelming.

Not to say that I disagree with his analysis, since I've done songs that follow the same general idea, and not really that different than I Tried To Write A Hit Song In 60 Minutes (Only that song worked out better, IMHO).

I guess the moral is that the value of solid vocal performance and snarky lyrics shouldn't be underestimated. laugh
This was quite information - I agree with others that the final outcome fell a little short, but he still included a lot of good points in here. I'd imagine this would come in handy for beginners.

Thanks for sharing smile
I suppose the way to look at this way of writing is to compare it to major hit songs and see if the maths work out..i would guess in most cases it doesn't..yet how could you argue with such a prolific hit maker
Sammy nothing to do with songwriting math but loved your song Train To Glory seems perfect for a cover. Frankie
This video is definitely good first few steps, but I agree with those before me where I feel like the end point was kind of missed a little. Not everything he said is 100% applicable or true for every scenario. There are always songs out there that bend the rules he's suggesting.

It was interesting though to see that he was referring to not worrying too much about structure while also saying to stick to very specific structures. Although what he said about repetition reminded me of another video that was shared here a little while ago about how there has been an increased in repetitious lyrics, and how repetition sounds melodic after a while even if someone is not singing.

Interesting points.
© PG Music Forums