PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Any hope for something like this: - 12/14/18 09:15 PM

Comp #04-2018

Then, the idea is how to comp this with BiaB. No preconceptions, here, just melody studies, really.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/15/18 01:52 PM
THere's always hope.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/18/18 06:33 PM
You can make anything work. wink

But shifting the beat like you do in this tune gives the feeling the G in the third bar is being held to long. Paste the following ABC notation onto the text editor control on this page and you can see and hear the difference:

X: 1
T: Ed's Tune
M: 4/4
L: 1/4
K: C
Q: 120
E/2F/2 | G G G/2F/2 E | c2 G2 | E/2F/2 G G G/2F/2 | E D2 ||

X: 1
T: Ed's Tune Altered
M: 4/4
L: 1/4
K: C
Q: 120
E/2F/2 | G G G/2F/2 E | c2 G E/2F/2 | G G G/2F/2 | E D3 ||
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/23/18 03:50 PM

Cuny,

This is a really neat web page. I have bookmarked it. Cool.

I don't think one sounds better than the other though.

They are just two different ideas.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/23/18 04:24 PM
Ed,

There are a LOT of reasons why this is a great idea.

ONE--you are writing out your melodies. More than most people do. Now when you step up to the mic, you won't sing G G G G G G G.

TWO--If you SING to a melody track (like viola, for example) you will always be better, because you will hit the note you wanted to hit, or see where you are off.

THREE--if you use pitch adjustment tools that can snap to midi (like Waves Tune and many others), hey, the job is done.

I applaud you for merely writing out your melodies like this in the first place.

I think it is a GREAT idea.

A song without a melody is nothing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/23/18 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

A song without a melody is nothing.

A song without a melody is called a rhythm track!

Running and ducking for cover.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/23/18 05:08 PM

Mario,

Right, which means it is not a song yet, so that means we both are right???

Right???

Merry Christmas!!! Here's to both being right!!

A first for the forum! Let there be rejoicing!!!!!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/23/18 08:10 PM
David,

Yes of course we are both right!

I pray that you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Any hope for something like this: - 12/23/18 10:24 PM
Thanks for the comments, encouragement, and David Cuny, for the great tip, admittedly something I have to step up to.
-------
Some years ago, I was listening, intently, to a early heavy metal piece, Def Leppard probably, and suddenly being struck that the bass and power chord players were pounding out a Wagner melody. To put it modestly, the revelation did not occur without a degree of residual trauma. I recovered.

Thanks David and Mario for the encouragement. I learned something about resolving a melody. Got to a certain point, then that one last bar took forever.

Merry Christmas, everyone.
© PG Music Forums