PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/21/19 12:57 PM
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/21/19 09:24 PM
I came across this using midi files of Beatle tunes done by David "DW" Barnes. Mr. Barnes created very accurate midi covers optimized for the Roland Sound Canvas and his programming is wonderful to work with. However,They are best to be edited in true sequencer programs.

When I open a DW Barnes midi file with BIAB, BIAB detects these time signature changes and a series of warning messages. "Unsupported Time Signature Change" a couple of times and "This is an 8 Beat time signature . Will Remap." The file is remapped to 4/4.

This video gives a nice explanation of the complexity of the Beatles work.

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/23/19 08:56 PM
I've seen this video before and it's a really cool one! Thanks for posting!
Posted By: MeanDean Re: The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/25/19 11:30 AM
Awesome video, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/25/19 12:28 PM
Wow - a really interesting video, and it pointed out several instances of time signature changes I never even noticed. It really reiterates just how talented they were.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/25/19 07:20 PM
Very cool how they modulate the time signatures at specific parts. Bless their cotton socks. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Beatles & Time Signatures - 04/25/19 07:42 PM
This was very interesting.

This reminded me of a friend whom composed some of the most beautiful music that had key and time signature changes. I asked a mutual friend who could he do that as he could not read music and had no theory. My friend said it is simply that he does not know that 2+2=4. He explained that many times those of us who know theory follow those rules while our friend doesn't know that so to him 2+2=anything that he can come up with. I believe this is the same with the Beatles and that is what made them so great;i.e. they played from the heart and not by any rules.

This is why I tell my students to learn theory but don't let it get in the way of making music.
© PG Music Forums