PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Paul Simon on songwriting & his career - 01/24/21 04:39 PM

Paul Simon, what a genius. Always was, always will be. I really enjoy listening to he creativity behind such wonderful talent.
It's always interesting hearing other people's methods and thoughts on writing songs. Really cool fine! Thanks for sharing.
This is a top notch interview - got it bookmarked, I know my dad will love this (big Paul Simon fan). Graceland is a masterpiece.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Paul Simon on songwriting & his career - 02/05/21 12:09 AM
It's an endless wonder how such talent falls upon any one person, but it does.
...I really do enjoy most of his music, but I sometime wonder what went through his mind, when trying to reclaim Bridge Over Troubled Water saying "the only thing I regret in my whole career is not being recognized properly for this song" and then more or less raping his own song like this from the stage in Copenhagen in 2018.

Bridge Over Troubled Water (mishandled)

There's probably a lot of more jazz oriented who'll dig this version....but not me :-)

I love the original studio version of the song, the way Art Garfunkel performs his vocal from being both gentle and subtile + the harmonies from Paul Simon.

Even for composers, some songs are better left untouched and true to the original. Dylan would never start to make "The Times Are A Changin" funky or urban.
© PG Music Forums