PG Music Home
Posted By: Planobilly Some cool ideas from Rick Beato - 11/30/21 02:39 PM
https://youtu.be/Hhgoli8klLA

Billy
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Some cool ideas from Rick Beato - 11/30/21 05:47 PM
Saw this one when it came out back in June. In the middle he calls Seal to find out how he came up with the melody etc. Seal says he was just fooling around with a Tascam 244 Portastudio, the old 4 track cassette recorder, that someone gave him and was learning how to make it work with bouncing tracks etc. So he was not thinking about melody as such. Also he didn't know he wasn't supposed to do those modal jumps and go from Gmaj7 to Gmin7 etc. Wrote the song in a couple of hours in an afternoon and it won Grammy for song of the year that year! Amazing stuff.

Rick is always very insightful in these videos and there is a lot to learn from what he pulls out of these songs.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Some cool ideas from Rick Beato - 12/01/21 08:10 AM
"The best explanation I can come up with is that I didn't know you couldn't really do those things, or that those things were unusual".
"It just felt like the right thing to do".
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Some cool ideas from Rick Beato - 12/01/21 11:34 AM
What I get out of Rick's explanations is a technical roadmap of how to produce a certain sort of sound or a certain sort of feel.

It is one thing to listen to a song and say I like that sound. It is a completely different thing to understand in detail of how and why that sound is being produced.

Until I got a piano I was unable to "see" things on the guitar neck. The problem with guitar is that some chords or groups of notes are difficult to get your hands to form.

That is not nearly so true on piano. The second inversion is no more difficult to form than the third inversion.

The piano is so visual. It took me a very long time to be able to recognize where every note on the guitar was. Perhaps ten minutes to learn all the notes on a piano.

Rick explains things in a pretty easy-to-understand way. Of course, some basic understanding of music theory is needed.

Billy
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Some cool ideas from Rick Beato - 12/01/21 06:47 PM
Rick Beato is one of the only YouTube channels I have actually supported financially. I enjoy his videos so much. It is the ultimate music appreciation channel and if I took the time to practice the things he has in his instructional videos, I could probably become a much better player than I am and a much better songwriter.
© PG Music Forums