Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#301882 - 07/05/15 08:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: tonnie]
AlastairLC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
This all sounds so complicated (and backbreaking to transport). I just use my Fender Hot Rod Deville guitar amp that has two 12" speakers. My guitar goes into one input, BIAB IPad into the other. Sounds great. No fuss.
Any other guitarists doing this?

#302122 - 07/07/15 01:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: AlastairLC]
BIABguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: AlastairLC
This all sounds so complicated (and backbreaking to transport). I just use my Fender Hot Rod Deville guitar amp that has two 12" speakers. My guitar goes into one input, BIAB IPad into the other. Sounds great. No fuss.
Any other guitarists doing this?

All depends on your age and strength. smile

For me, a Fender HRD with 2x12's is way too heavy!

I've separated my Combos now into head + speaker cab so that the heaviest component is 27 lbs. smile

#302191 - 07/08/15 07:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: BIABguy]
AlastairLC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Smart man! With my increasing age and decreasing strength, 54lbs is indeed a load to lug, but still worth it for the important gigs (a large wheel luggage cart helps). For rehearsals and other gigs I use a Fender Blues Jr. III (31lbs), but it doesn't have a separate input for BIAB. Do you play BIAB through your guitar amp, or use a separate PA system?

#309023 - 09/01/15 06:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: AlastairLC]
tonnie Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Using BIAB live part 2.

My postings in Tom’s original thread “Using BIAB live” #297455 - 05/30/15 received some “flack” by some forum members who found my setup “too complicated”.

At first I felt that this was uncalled for criticism, as my setup both sounded great and for me it was workable.

However recently I have put together a somewhat simpler setup that sounds just as great (but without the option to sing close-harmony all by myself).

I built a laptop, a Roland Canvas SD-50 and a Behringer Super X Pro Crossover filter all into a SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case with Wheels.

I will still need an additional stereo PA, like the e.g. Fender Passport and a small bass amp like e.g. Gallien-Krüger MB150, but the sound is just as great when using BB as my present setup.

#309024 - 09/01/15 06:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: tonnie]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: tonnie
Using BIAB live part 2.

... received some “flack” by some forum members who found my setup “too complicated”.

At first I felt that this was uncalled for criticism, as my setup both sounded great and for me it was workable.

What, not here is our little friendly forum. grin
My live gear is about has complex as it can be. And after the one gig where it took me 10 minutes of stage time to find the switch which someone (me??) had thrown on my mixer which prevented any sound, I continue to simplify where I can.

I built a laptop, a Roland Canvas SD-50 and a Behringer Super X Pro Crossover filter all into a SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case with Wheels.

Got Pictures?
SoundCloud

#309484 - 09/05/15 04:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: MusicStudent]
GDaddy Offline
Expert

Loc: Homosassa , Florida
I have two Behringer Amps that sound great with BIAB....for my guitar/keyboard synths/bass guitars ...heavy suckers that need some wheels under them...

ULTRATONE K3000FX

Ultra-Flexible 300-Watt 4-Channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier with FX and FBQ Feedback Detection

Ultra-flexible 300-Watt 4-channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier
Powerful 15'' BUGERA woofer and custom-made 1'' driver for ultimate sound reproduction
Integrated digital FX processor with 100 awesome presets including reverb, chorus, flanger, delay, pitch shifter and various multi-effects
Revolutionary FBQ Feedback Detection System instantly reveals critical frequencies
Full 4-channel stereo operation with separate Volume and FX Send per channel
Additional XLR mic input on Channel 1 for direct connection of dynamic microphones

Bass Amp:
The Behringer ULTRABASS BXL900 90 watt 2 Channel Bass workstation. Truly affordable, wedge-shaped Bass Workstation .

The Behringer ULTRABASS BXL900 is a truly affordable wedge-shaped Bass Workstation with a powerful 12 inch special high-impact cone speaker. With 90 Watts of power, your performance will never run out of breath. It features one clean and one distortion channel with full control, a 7-band EQ with a revolutionary See-What-You-Play FBQ frequency indicator that immediately shows you which bass frequency corresponds with which fader on your EQ to allow you instant sound shaping and a switchable Ultrabass subharmonics processor. A musical limiter guarantees playing without distortion on the clean channel even at the highest volume levels. You can use the separate headphone output whenever you need to keep your music just to yourself.

The main features of the Behringer ULTRABASS BXL900 include:

Powerful 90-Watt 2-channel Bass Workstation in wedge-shaped cabinet
Original BUGERA 12 inch special high-impact cone speaker
Clean channel with dedicated Gain control
Distortion channel with dedicated Gain, Shape and Level controls
Ultra-musical, active 7-band graphic EQ with FBQ Spectrum Analyzer
Revolutionary "See what you play" FBQ frequency indicator for instant sound shaping
Switchable Ultrabass subharmonics processor for unbelievable low-end power
Musical opto-limiter for ultimate volume without distortion
Separate headphone output—perfect for quiet practicing
CD input allows you to play along to your favorite music

I love the play and sing jazz and Broadway orientd (American Songbook} material. I utilize BIAB mostly already setup for Real Band and Real Drum Backing...don't wanna bother with arranging per Se,
but outright jamming/singings with the present files available and pre-constructed.
I have downloaded a number of hits, mostly originals...and I'll sometimes use my JamMan to eliminate their voice. and use mine, which is "almost" identical in tone and phrasing to that old swinger, Mel Torme. All of this is available on my HP 300 laptop, along with Sonar Platinum, so I have a deep variety of back-up choices.

Taking my GR-303 and GM-70 Synth/Jsxx rack unit (ala Metheney), a Fender fretless-bass guitar, and a couple of "knock-off" Gibsons, 335's and 175's are all "musts" for gigs. I have also used a rolling PeaveyRack unit, which houses, among other things, some lexicons and
other assorted effects and loopers.

I also have some Boss Pedals and guitar pedal boards, if called for.

Edited by GDaddy (09/05/15 05:44 PM)
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3

#309510 - 09/06/15 06:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Since I was one who gave you 'flack', allow me to elucidate. Your statement:

“Secondly I play guitar though a pedal board into a guitar amp, but also via a Roland GR-33 guitar synth into my stereo PA, a Fender Passport 150.

From my laptop I split the BiaB output via a Roland UM one into an UA-1 X (for Real Sounds) and Roland XV-5050 (For MIDI sound) and (MIDI) Output Chords to my TC-Helicon Voice Works (For “Close Harmony” singing “Four Freshmen”-style),

The Real and Midi sounds are mixed together with the aid of a small (4 channel mixer) and then go through a 3 way crossover filter. The output of the treble and middle tones are sent (in stereo) to the mixer part of the Passport, while the bass part is send to two Gallien-Krueger bass amps. 

This way the bass, bass drum and the lower end of the piano do not “burden” the small Passport speakers and can be fully controlled separately. 

The outputs from the TC-Helicon Voice Works go in stereo via an Antares AVP-1 and into the Passport mixer.”

I'm sorry, but that is a very complicated setup for a single. You could accomplish all of that with a laptop, small format mixer and a decent PA. I see more of that setup than any other these days.

I don't want to bust your chops, but the Fender “Passport” is a toy. You might consider a couple of powered speakers or a Bose system. Danny C has a Bose, and loves it.

If your system sounds good to you and you're happy with it, more power to you. I didn't mean to rain on your parade – I was just making an observation.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#315968 - 10/27/15 07:00 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: MusicStudent]
tonnie Offline
Apprentice

After having used the setup I mentioned, I have found that I should have bought a 3U Rack/Flight Case. As the SD-50 is not rack mountable and one can not see the top of it, while inside the rack. Otherwise is all works very well.

#315989 - 10/27/15 08:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: tonnie]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

After having used the setup I mentioned, I have found that I should have bought a 3U Rack/Flight Case. As the SD-50 is not rack mountable and one can not see the top of it, while inside the rack. Otherwise is all works very well.

Supposedly, there was a rack mount adapter available separately from Roland for the SD-50. If you can find one, you might consider a slant-top rack like these:

http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=154310

I have the 10U case, and it's built like a tank - very heavy as well. I've got my Soundcraft mixer, EQs, amp - everything in the one case. Makes setup a lot easier.

Regards,

Bob

#316011 - 10/27/15 11:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
PhillyJazz Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Philly
I would LOVE to see the notation be a little more flexible with songs that span two pages. I mostly use .PDF fakebooks, but have lots of BIAB songs that are not in any of them (or need to be transposed on the fly.) I have a Surface Pro 3 tablet, and most of the time end up printing to a .PDF on my desktop to read. Would love to eliminate those steps.

I think there would be a market for an app that could just DISPLAY (and transpose) BIAB format files just to be used as a Fakebook (at a lower price than the full featured program.)
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other internal and USB drives.
XENXY 802 analog mixer
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables

#316055 - 10/28/15 01:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: PhillyJazz]
solidrock Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
...I think there would be a market for an app that could just DISPLAY (and transpose) BIAB format files just to be used as a Fakebook (at a lower price than the full featured program.)

https://musescore.org/

#316183 - 10/29/15 06:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: 90 dB]
tonnie Offline
Apprentice

Bob,

Thanks for your tip.
However, the SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case has the Laptop on top of the case, so I was more thinking of a sliding 19" tray to mount the SD-50 on, as I do not have to see it all the time, just sometimes to adjust certain items.

Brgds,
Tonnie

#316190 - 10/29/15 07:10 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: tonnie]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Bob,

Thanks for your tip.
However, the SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case has the Laptop on top of the case, so I was more thinking of a sliding 19" tray to mount the SD-50 on, as I do not have to see it all the time, just sometimes to adjust certain items.

Brgds,
Tonnie

You're using the SKB case now, and the SD-50 doesn't fit? You might consider a more low-tech solution - Velcro. I have a spare USB interface mounted underneath my music stand with Velcro. Cheap and it works.

Regards,

Bob

#326639 - 12/21/15 02:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
bowlesj Offline
Journeyman

I was reading this thread about gigging with BIAB live (or with recordings created by BIAB) and found it very interesting. I want to thank everyone for contributing. It has helped inspire me to keep at this project. I am planning on doing this for jazz standards initially advertising jazz jams but if that does not work out just playing myself with BIAB being used for the backing tracks. It is an experiment and we will see if it can help a struggling restaurant make a bit more money on a slow night :-) Here are two small things I can contribute

1/ I just tested the space bar on the computer and it pauses the BIAB song so stopping BIAB fast is not a problem.

2/ for finding a song quickly if it is requested by someone, in windows 7 you can do this.
Press: Alt+F
Press: o (at this point the directory where your BIAB files are should be showing)
Press: the first few characters of your song name and it shows in the list.
Press: the down arrow key to get to the song
Press: enter to pull the song up in band in a box.
Press: space bar to start the song.
I timed this and I would say 5 to 10 seconds is the longest it should take to start the song if you are only using the computer for running BIAB and it is always highlighted.

Edited by bowlesj (12/21/15 02:17 PM)

#326716 - 12/21/15 07:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
John Payne Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Rockwall, TX, USA
Hello bowlesj (et al),

I've been using BIAB live for the past 8 years for standards-based restaurant gigs in the Dallas area. BIAB in a Samsung laptop with Godin nylon string guitar, all feeding a small Mackie mixer and PA. Mostly Real-Tracks, it all sounds great.

I just click on the song I want and get a new build with about 5 choruses in about 5 seconds. Have never had any computer problems or glitches.

I'm far from "techno-shy" (EE by background), but when performing I prefer to concentrate more on the music than futzing with gear.

Just keeping things simple.

Good luck,
John Payne

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is Here - Up to 40% off Upgrades!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac with over 50 new features, 202 New RealTracks, 40 NEW Video RealTracks, 32 new MIDI SuperTracks, 108 new Instrumental Studies, 8 new Artist Performances, 52 new loops, and 40 AmpliTube presets with 37 associated styles!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade purchases until May 31, 2018 - save up to 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade!

This year we are celebrating 30 YEARS of Band-in-a-Box®! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2018.htm

If you check out http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm, you'll see the new 2018 package options available. To summarize:

Band-in-a-Box® Pro $129
Upgrade from Version 2017: $59 (reg: $69)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $69 (reg: $79)
Special 2018 Program Update from 2017: $49 **Requires Version 2017. Includes version 2018 program updates only. (No other Add-ons or Bonus PAK)

Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK $269
Upgrade from Version 2017: $89 (reg: $149)
Upgrade from Version 2016: $99 (reg: $159)

Band-in-a-Box® PlusPAK
Upgrade from Version 2017: $99 (reg: $129)
(The PlusPAK is designed to upgrade 2017 UltraPlusPAK & EverythingPAK users who are downloading their upgrade or do not want to purchase a new hard drive)

NEW! Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK Formerly the UltraPlusPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2017: $149 (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $169 (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition $669
Upgrade from Version 2017 Audiophile: $199 - limited time offer!
Upgrade from 2017: $479
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $499
Upgrade from any previous Audiophile: $299

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27506 Members
50 Forums
51773 Topics
427752 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BOSS RV-3 DD/R, bcprods, vicp, l0nnie450, Jdashiell

27506 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 421
zedd 190