You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#311015 - 09/20/15 01:20 AM [User Showcase] Seven Seas Of Solitude
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Song Seven Seas Of Solitude is a story about feeling as an outsider on Earth, that you don't understand the world and the world doesn't understand you. I wrote this song in 2008 and have mixed it several times before, naturally now used the latest realtracks. But still I prefer the MIDI guitars from my old Roland which I used the first time, actually the only time I have used its sounds. This song is kind of a prototype pop song I like to make and also to listen to, realizing my slogan "Mostly harmless pop music" smile

Instruments used:

RealDrums NashvilleEven16

Realtracks:
#700 Electric Bass
#2488 Acoustic Bass Bowed
#1422 Acoustic Piano
#1949 Acoustic Piano soloist
#695 Electric Guitar Arp
#1850 Electric Guitar Muted
#2448 Electric Guitar Background
#2334 String Quartet
#1856 Cello
#2291 Horns
#2019 Tenor Sax Soloist

MIDI guitars (Roland XV-5050) from style PW_PAUL.STY
MIDI strings (GPO) from style PW_PAUL.STY

Bridge Melody: Forte DXi, VSTi GPO
Vocals: Supreme Tracks, Cantus VSTi

Lyrics:

The world didn't value my gift
I was a stranger adrift
not a special loved one, faith didn't lift
envy was bitter and swift.

From the angels received
instructions for building an ark
the court room was deaf to defence
like Cain I had my curse mark.
Condemned to live in exile
I was an outcast subdued,
sailing the vast seven seas
of my solitude.

I never took root in this land
starved like a rose in the sand
I did not want to soil my clean hand
in the war I did not understand.

[Chorus]

[Chorus]
----

Janne

Edited by jannesan (09/20/15 01:28 AM)

#311033 - 09/20/15 05:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Beautiful and lush arrangement. The rise and fall of the vocal melody was nice and the song really hit it's stride during the higher energy sections of the vocals. It was all good but I thought those sections meshed so well with the music and were exceptional.

Really nice. I enjoyed my listen and hope to hear from you again soon. Great job on the mix.

Charlie

#311062 - 09/20/15 10:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy
Hello,

I like this song; it's really enjoyable.
Nice melody and real tracks you used.

Hello.
Sergio.

Sergio

#311122 - 09/21/15 01:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Vocals by Supreme Tracks -had to look that up - do you give them a draft vocal and get a finished version back?
Anyway liked it, nice song well produced with an interesting feel.

#311129 - 09/21/15 05:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
really enjoyed this song. Great arrangement, and lyrics.
Well done!

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#311142 - 09/21/15 07:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: VideoTrack]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Thanks Charlie for your nice comment, I'm really glad to hear that you liked those vocal sections, I had to work hard to harness the dynamics of the vocals without losing the energy. Nice to know that I succeeded in the mix.

Thanks Sergio, I like your songs too, they have beautiful chords and melodies.

Thanks Peter, I usually finish my songs with a Vocaloid, computer vocalist, and then I sent them the whole song, instrumental version and the vocal track separately. They sent me a rough mix first, then I can request changes, if necessary, and when I'm satisified with the singing, I ask them to send the raw vocal file(s).

Thanks Videotrack for enjoying my song smile

---

Janne

#311143 - 09/21/15 08:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
A very pleasant song, with some excellent atmospheric chord changes, plus a good mix. Nice work. I'm not sure about the water noises though!

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#311263 - 09/22/15 07:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Like John said "atmospheric."

Lush with no mush!

Enjoyed it.

J&B
J&B Website

#311325 - 09/22/15 04:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
gruverider Offline
Expert

I really like your chord progression and melody here. A nice change from most pop progressions.

And great mixing chops.

A fine song all around

much enjoyed!

#311387 - 09/23/15 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Thanks John for your nice comment. Sorry for the water torture wink

Thanks J&B, atmospheric and lush are words I had in mind while arranging smile

Thanks Gruverider for liking, hopefully my chord progressions are not too complicated for normal pop ears smile I like to add spice and surprises with unusual chording, but of course it may sound gimmickry for some.

---

Janne

#311423 - 09/23/15 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: jannesan]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really enjoyable song!! The music is really fresh and interesting. Reminds me of the 60's/70's, particularly got a Camel vibe. Very nice work!! Take care. Greg

#311490 - 09/24/15 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Seven Seas Of Solitude [Re: Greg Johnson]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really enjoyable song!! The music is really fresh and interesting. Reminds me of the 60's/70's, particularly got a Camel vibe. Very nice work!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg! I know Camel only by name, but I'll put it on my playlist.

---

Janne

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

Forum Stats
27830 Members
51 Forums
52996 Topics
439834 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
yeto, tdh10, Damian Lluch, milesk, alvesbdanilo

27828 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 147
David Snyder 135