Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#351940 05/30/16 02:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

A song for those who go to foreign soils to fight for freedom and never make it back home.

Written in 2009 with my songwriting friend from Texas, Patricia Bishop.

Back in the heady, early days of my experimenting with BB.... I don't recall the tracks other than steel guitar and dobro.... but it's all BB except I think the drums are Jamstix.

Something To Die For

COPYRIGHT 2009 Hartley / Bishop

Me and my big brother, after church on Sunday
Out in Granny's backyard, playing Army green beret.
Climbing in the old oak tree, The smell of supper on the breeze
Music drifting through the door...
That's something to die for

Me & Jeannie Farmer, walking down to Skalseys Creek
An old dirt road to a swimming hole, in the Carolina heat.
Laughing in the warm night air, she lets down her long brown hair..
She's more than just the girl next door..... I swear...

Country, God and family, these things I believe
Are the things in life worth living for
Country, God and family, what it takes to keep them free
Makes everything I do worth fighting for

solo (8 bars)

Me and my sweet Jeannie after church on Sunday
Out in Grannys backyard as our little children play
Memories made forever of one more day together
Before I leave again .......for war
Thats something to die for

Bridge:
Far away, in a foreign land, A blinding flash in the desert sand.
My dreams are gone, like fading tracks...
Erased by the wind...

Chorus
Tag
That's something I died for.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

You can make excuses or you can make progress but you can't do both.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice lyric write -- good images. Excellent overall sound. Sad story, but that is war when you come right down to it.

Mighty fine story. A introspective song suitable for memorial day.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I thought this was a great write, Herb... and an appropriate Memorial Day submission!

I liked all the imagery, but the line "the smell of supper in the air" jumped out at me.

The phrase "to die for" has been applied to things that aren't worthy to be compared to the applications mentioned in this song.. so I appreciate the reality check.

My only nit is that the song's tempo is kind of upbeat, and (for me) that undermined the impact of the conclusion. However, it accents all the good stuff being mentioned throughout the song, so you had a decision to make, and I think you made the right one.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,
Incredible verbal imagery for this sad, sad song.

Well done

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great sounding song Herb.

I have noticed you have a song already ready and ready to go for every major Holiday and World event.

Do you have a song for the Day After Memorial Day, and The Day after the Day After Memorial Day too?

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
that sounds great Herb!
Cool composition, sad, but good lyrics.
Love the dobro and the pedal steel!!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I remember this one, and it was nice to hear it again!! It is really well-written. The hook line pays off well and there's a ton of great furniture!! Nice one Herb! Take care and thanks for posting again! Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yup, this was an old song that I have posted before. Suitable for the Memorial Day holiday.

Thank you all for listening.

I think sometimes that I should go back and dig out the final project and rework some of the tracks and sort of update it to how I would mix this today.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/31/16 01:39 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

You can make excuses or you can make progress but you can't do both.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Herb,

I enjoyed this song even before I was on the forum via your Web site, liked it then, like it more today . You really are a master of mixing in the pedal steel, clear, and precisely point spot on.

PaddyG

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Herb,

great song and performance.
For the matter and the song style, it remember me some Country Joe McDonald's song.

Your voice is better.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice tribute and thought provoking. We owe those men and women a huge debt.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song. Lyrics were very thought provoking. Loved the rhythm of the song. Fiddle and dobro were very nice. Excellent vocal.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Productor Musical
Productor Musical
Excellent piece of musical production Herb, great voice, precise selection of instruments, lyric telling stories that remain in the heart. Hold in the good work!

Bendiciones y saludos desde Venezuela.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really cool song man. Great lyrics. Quite moving.

User Showcase
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
Dynamite song, Herb. I have to admit I had to look up the word 'imagery' in the dictionary, but it certainly fits this song. The music conjures up visions of Willy singing 'Pancho and Lefty'. The lyrics remind me of my earlier years when I was in the service, albeit, we were in the paddies, not the sand. Thanks for posting it for all to hear, and thanks for your service to our country.

Jeaux

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Lovely melody and chord progression Herb to go with the poignant lyrics. Man that fiddle is sad and sweet. Well done!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice, Herb. Like Bud said, we owe these men a huge debt.

Great write. At times your vocals have just a tad bit of Willie in there. That's a pretty good compliment from Central Texas. smile

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,306
Posts731,340
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213