You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#354994 - 06/24/16 12:07 AM [User Showcase] The Everlasting Summer
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Finland
The Everlasting Summer

Here is a majestic ballad to celebrate the summer solstice and its historical and ritual meaning to people. It's the high point of the year, but still it's only a transient moment in the cycle of the seasons. The song was inspired by a document about the song Killing Me Softy, the fantastic atmospheric pedal steel realtrack and a summer song contest. I wrote the lyrics again in Finnish but I couldn't get my usual Finnish singer so I had to turn to RnAM and translate the song, the lyrics may sound clumsy because I tried to keep alliteration and rhyming. I should have worked on it much more, but there was a deadline... Good practice anyway.

RnAM made fantastic work with the vocals once again, especially Anne-Marie's voice in the choruses is supernaturally beautiful and it blends nicely with the pedal steel. This was also the first trial with Shevannai "voice of elves" voice library, it gives nice ancient pagan feeling to the song.

RealDrums PraiseWorshipSlow16hts
Loop: HipHopOldSchool_woo_cha_beat80a

RealTracks:
Electric Bass #1592
Acoustic Guitar Pick #1814, #1765
Electric Guitar Dirty #808
Electric Guitar Gritty #842
Electric Guitar Held #1832
Electric Guitar Soloist #1514
Pedal Steel Background #2542
Electric Piano #2197
Flute #1336
Horn Section #2291
String Quartet #2335
Vibes #1215

Vocals:
RnAM
Shevannai
Birds (finch, nightingale etc.)

Music mixed in Adobe Audition, RnAM did the final mix with their vocals.

Lyrics:

In the shadows of the spruces
a shelter for a covert kiss
on the bed of underbrush
budding at the birth of bliss
the childhood grove glows green
attuning to your abyss.

I looked in your eyes high on pleasure
in your lily valley slept at leisure
I never thought that
you could take your gaze off
summer, the everlasting bloom.

Roaming on the rough rocks
alongside of a sturdy steep
in the dell of our daze
a spellbound seedling shyly sleeps
fading fear of a fiend
diving in the dawning deep.

I looked in your eyes with desire
an oak tree ritual by the Litha fire
I never thought that
summer, the everlasting calm.

To the winter night
wild is the ride
of the fairy foal
if you lose control.

I looked in your eyes beneath the bower
the bond was sealed with the holy flower
I never thought that
summer, the everlasting while.

---
Janne

Edited by jannesan (06/24/16 12:18 AM)

#355037 - 06/24/16 07:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Perfect performance, mix, arrangement and production. A great collaboration. Enjoyed it.

#355106 - 06/24/16 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Again it was a pleasure to work with Janne on one of his songs.
These songs always have an interesting complexity to them and are always a challenge for us to sing.
In this case for Anne-Marie, who had to really get out of her comfort zone to sing the high-pitched harmony vocal which Janne originally programmed with the Vocaloid (and he did a great job on that!)

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#355109 - 06/24/16 01:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Wow, a very impressive piece, well done to all concerned! I love the beautiful vocals, especially Anne-Marie's high parts - an excellent hook to the song. The whole was very tastefully mixed and mastered.

I did feel that the melody was unnecessarily convoluted - it felt as if a poem had been forced into song-form, so some lines didn't flow easily. I think that the excellent musical backing would actually allow a 'free-er' lyric/melody marriage with a slight editing of the words.

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#355129 - 06/24/16 04:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Beautiful song and great production! I really liked this!!!

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#355148 - 06/24/16 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Janne,

You've a great job! It's very easy to tell that you've put a whole heap of work into getting this one together. I congratulate Rob and Anne-Marie, too. The arrangment, production and vocals, are fantastic. This is definitely an effort for everyone to feel proud of. As I said last time, I totally admire your ability to write songs in a second language. I don't know how you do it!

Regards,
Noel

#355157 - 06/24/16 08:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
All,
Quite ethereal - lovely vocals and a complex lush arrangement. Good song most enjoyable.

#355180 - 06/25/16 05:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: Skyline]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Wow, a very impressive piece, well done to all concerned! I love the beautiful vocals, especially Anne-Marie's high parts - an excellent hook to the song. The whole was very tastefully mixed and mastered.

I did feel that the melody was unnecessarily convoluted - it felt as if a poem had been forced into song-form, so some lines didn't flow easily. I think that the excellent musical backing would actually allow a 'free-er' lyric/melody marriage with a slight editing of the words.

John

Thanks John for your nice feedback. Good observation about the flow, I agree, I felt that way after the translation process, but was too close to see how to fix it. Maybe later when I get distance or an outsider's view...

Janne

#355181 - 06/25/16 05:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: RnAM]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Again it was a pleasure to work with Janne on one of his songs.
These songs always have an interesting complexity to them and are always a challenge for us to sing.
In this case for Anne-Marie, who had to really get out of her comfort zone to sing the high-pitched harmony vocal which Janne originally programmed with the Vocaloid (and he did a great job on that!)

Rob

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie again, you really exceeded yourselves, where would I be without you smile I hope to bring you another challenge later this year wink

Janne

#355182 - 06/25/16 05:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: PeterF]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Peter for your positive comment!

Thanks Charlie for your kind words.

Thanks David for liking!

Thanks Noel, your comments are always very uplifting smile

Janne

#355355 - 06/26/16 07:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Quite an amazing piece of work!! Really beautiful to listen to and soooooo elaborately constructed. R and AM did an amazing job! Wonderful!! Take care. Greg

#355460 - 06/27/16 02:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: jannesan]
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hello Jannesan

Another great one by you.
Excellent melody and right choice of instruments.

Great vocal by RnAM the perfect interpreters for this song.

Sergio

Sergio

#355531 - 06/28/16 07:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: Greg Johnson]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Quite an amazing piece of work!! Really beautiful to listen to and soooooo elaborately constructed. R and AM did an amazing job! Wonderful!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your compliments. I'm glad to hear that you think the song is beautiful smile Your anthem Love Knows No Color is also very enjoyable to listen to.

Janne

#355532 - 06/28/16 07:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Everlasting Summer [Re: Sergio Guarneri]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Another great one by you.
Excellent melody and right choice of instruments.

Great vocal by RnAM the perfect interpreters for this song.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio for commenting, you are right, RnAM are perfect smile Your Next To You is also a very nice song, listening to it right now smile

Janne

PG Music News
#TipTuesday - Finding Your Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®

If you've purchased one of the new Video RealTracks Sets released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018, finding them in the program is easy!

For the Video RealTracks, within the RealTracks Picker the "Set*" column will show "VideoFound" if the video RealTracks is installed.

For Video RealDrums, the RealDrums Picker will list this information within the "#" column.

Plus, You can easily find the video RealTracks in the StylesPicker. Just press the [Other] filter button (drop down menu) above the list and use "Show Styles with or without Video RealTracks" menu item.

Video RealTracks Sets 1-2 are included in the 49-PAK, which is available for purchase at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm. The 49-PAK is also included with any UltraPAK or Audiophile purchase!

All of our Video RealTracks Sets can be viewed and purchase at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Portuguese Edition for Windows® is Here!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=win&lang=pt

Nós ficamos ocupados e adicionamos mais de 50 novos recursos e uma incrível coleção de novos conteúdos, incluindo RealTracks, SuperTracks MIDI, Estudos Instrumentais, Loops, Performances de Artista, Presets de Amplitube e estilos associados, 12-Key RealTracks e Notação Hi-Q de Guitarra! Nós adicionamos 202 novos RealTracks, o dobro dos 101 que muitas vezes lançamos no passado! Agora, introduzindo o Video RealTracks (40 disponíveis entre Country, Pop e Jazz), que funcionam exatamente como o RealTracks, mas também incluem vídeos da performance do músico! Nós também fizemos um novo Xtra Styles PAK 4 com 160 novos Xtra Styles. (Xtra Styles são estilos baseados em RealTracks lançados anteriormente). Existem mais de 200 novos RealStyles para os nossos novos RealTracks, incluindo Americana, Klezmer, Top-40, Jazz Strings Pads, Vocals (oohs e aahs), New Crooner "Shout", estilos BigBand e muito mais! Nós temos um Bonus 49-PAK com 40 novos RealTracks inéditos além dos 202 acima, totalizando 242 novos RealTracks! O Bonus 49-PAK também inclui os Sets de Video RealTracks 1 e 2, 32 novos SuperTracks MIDI, 108 novos estudos instrumentais, 52 Loops e 8 Performances de artistas.

User Tip - Slowing Down and Looping Audio in Band-in-a-Box®

Forum user DeaconBlues09 created a video tutorial to help answer a fellow forum user's question:
Using the Audio Chord Wizard to tempo map, slow down, and learn the notes of an audio track - video link http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=R09Lf3bHjhQ

Forum thread: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467504

Thanks for sharing!

#TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows Ear Training Fun!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows we added two great games for ear training: Pitch Invasion and Music Replay!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above (you hear the note sound, and click on the on-screen piano/MIDI or QWERTY keyboard to shoot them down).

Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

These games can still be accessed with newer versions of the program - in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 you'll find these by accessing the Practice Window or Ear Training Window, both located in the Window drop-down menu. The Practice Window can also be accessed using the Practice button within the main Band-in-a-Box screen (don't see it? CTRL+T to change the view).

Learn all about the features released with Version 2006 here.

Video: Exporting Audio Files in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Our latest video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - Exporting Audio Files Tutorial walks you through the different options to export your Band-in-a-Box® songs and song tracks from Band-in-a-Box® as an audio file (WAV, MP3, etc.)!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_Px958TmzhA

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 516 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows customer can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#516

Summary of changes:
Improved: More RealTracks have HiQ transcriptions. Fixed Bass AmericanaSlow16thsByron bad chords.
Improved: The Audio Drivers dialog for WAS devices now shows Bit Depth in the device description.
Improved: WAS audio driver performance has been Improved when using 44.1 kHz sample rate.
Improved: Windows Audio Session error messages contain more specific information.
Updated: Misc. updates to StylePicker database, memos, manuals, help files.
Fixed: "BBW.LST not found" errors when using the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: "mono" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: "normalize individual tracks" was only working for MIDI tracks.
Fixed: "One file per track" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: Access violation on bootup if using a Roland audio interface (ASIO) that is not connected.
Fixed: Adjusting Melody or Soloist tracks to fit a new number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: An access violation error might occur in the RealTracks Picker if quickly scrolling and double-clicking to hear demos.
Fixed: Changing a track name using the StylePicker mixer controls might open a hidden popup window.
Fixed: Changing the number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: Clicking on the far left of the Guitar window would cause a "!!!!!" flash message to show.
Fixed: If adjusting the number of choruses in your song, choosing Cancel is ignored when asked, "OK to adjust Melody track to fit new # of choruses?".
Fixed: JazzBebopDannyBrushes sometimes out of sync.
Fixed: Panning the audio track did not work.
Fixed: Some Amplitube presets/styles/demos pointed to a preset which wasn't available in some installs.
Fixed: Some typos and omissions in RealDrums Picker.
Fixed: The [.STY] button in the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: The [Get Patch/Drum Kit Info] button in the MIDI drivers dialog would not find the synthesizer documentation.
Fixed: The About dialog was not showing the Fretlight Ready logo.
Fixed: The Audio Chord Wizard would always run in English.
Fixed: The busy mouse cursor might remain after analyzing audio with the Audio Chord Wizard.
Fixed: The PDF driver installer could not be launched from Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: The Plugins window would be too small when using plugins that have a small GUI.
Fixed: Using a Coyote DXi synthesizer (eg CoyoteWT or ForteDXi) might cause crackling/buzzing noise during playback.
Fixed: Using a multi speaker layout (eg. 4 speakers surround sound) instead of stereo might cause failure to connect to audio hardware with error -9996. This only happened when using WAS as audio driver type.
Fixed: Video rendering would fail if saved using Japanese characters in file name.
Fixed: When saving a Hybrid style for the first time, the File Save dialog should start in the Styles directory.

PG Music Inc. Newsletter - Stay In-the-Loop!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, or other PG Music Inc. products are released? Sign up for the newsletter at http://www.pgmusic.com/newsletter.htm.

If you purchased Band-in-a-Box® (or any other PG Music Inc. product) directly from us, you're already on the list!

Of course, we also announce new releases and specials on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc/), Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BandinaBox), and right here in our Forums!

Forum Stats
27395 Members
50 Forums
51200 Topics
422800 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Meagannn, fredmarzin, Steve T, Deej56, Gerold

27394 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 193
Ember - PG Music 159