You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#373693 - 11/09/16 08:05 AM [User Showcase] When The Curtains Fall
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Finland
When The Curtains Fall

Couple of my songs have received a comment sounding like a James Bond movie theme song. This gave me an idea to imagine what kind of a song I would write if I were asked to compose the Bond theme. And here is the end result smile Most likely it won't sound like a movie theme at all to you wink

Quite a tough one to mix, I had 37 instrument tracks, although many of the instruments I used only for a short section. I hope the mix doesn't sound too crowded in your ears.

I hired the vocals again from RnAM and they made fantastic job, especially the chorus part really makes the song fly smile

MIDI tracks, used GPO4, ST3 VSTi plugins:
Majesty1.sty: ChoirAahs, French Horn, Strings, Timpani, Drums
Mind1.sty: Nylon Guitar
Uplift1.sty: Acoustic Bass, Strings
Waveheal.sty: Harp, Synth Strings
Insight.sty: Sitar

Loop: Beatbox_sweet_cheeks_110a
RealDrums: Soul70sPerc, TechnoSamb
Realtracks:
Acoustic Bass Bowed #2489
Acoustic Piano #1949, #811
Electric Piano #2526, #2157
Piano SynthLayer #1410
Cello #1856
Electric Bass #2607
Electric Guitar #998, #1436, #2535, #1258, #1650, #1401, #1404, #867, #2618
Horns #2346
Sax #2411
String Quartet #2334
Synth Delay Sync #2282

Vocals: RnAM
Additional Vocals VSTi: Cantus, Shevannai

Mixed in Adobe Audition (and RnAM mixed the vocals to the song)

Lyrics:

Fate is a bond
a license to adore
an olive in a martini
that calls to love you more.
I can tie your hands and
chain your fierce heart
I want to be stirred
'cause tomorrow we'll depart.
We shall step
into the danger zone
enter our love's
minefield all alone.
Together we can rise
above the mundane
look at the bleeding eyes
on the sheets of pain.

In your bed
beneath the starry skies
naked unarmed
I'm a vulnerable guy
if I have to die
be gentle, use your shawl
choke me with perfumes of your pleasure
when the curtains fall.

Threat is a spur
a license to incite
push me off the edge
trick the agent of the night.
Spin the catherine wheel
no mercy onto me
shaken and enslaved
I reveal my fantasy.
We shall step outside
the comfort zone
enter our love's
minefield all alone.
Together we can fall
free from the rules
pierce the hollow wall
of the formal fools.

In your bed...

Venus in furs, the cycle recurs
rise, fall and turn.

In your bed...

---

Janne

#373694 - 11/09/16 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
Will B - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Great job, Janne! Channeling the spirit of Bond very successfully, I'd say (Thunderball and earlier era, when a certain dose of schmaltz went a very long way!) smile The mix is actually very good, not too crowded whatsoever - seamless transitions (in the percussion especially) between the verses and the choruses. I can't believe you have 37 instrument tracks, that's crazy! You did a wonderful job smile

#373743 - 11/09/16 10:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
animarorecords Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Janne

Great job. Nice song with fabulous sounds.
I think it was a very hard work to construct this arrangement.
But there was no failure in this music. All the sounds are put together very well.
The use of soundtrack MIDI styles are superb.
GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA sounds good too.
And RnAM's vocals are wonderful.
Very enjoyable Listen.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#373760 - 11/10/16 06:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: Will B - PG Music]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Will B - PG Music
Great job, Janne! Channeling the spirit of Bond very successfully, I'd say (Thunderball and earlier era, when a certain dose of schmaltz went a very long way!) smile The mix is actually very good, not too crowded whatsoever - seamless transitions (in the percussion especially) between the verses and the choruses. I can't believe you have 37 instrument tracks, that's crazy! You did a wonderful job smile

Thanks Will for your kind words, especially concerning the mix, because it took so much time. I'm also glad to hear that I have managed to reach the Bond spirit smile

Janne

#373762 - 11/10/16 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: animarorecords]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Great job. Nice song with fabulous sounds.
I think it was a very hard work to construct this arrangement.
But there was no failure in this music. All the sounds are put together very well.
The use of soundtrack MIDI styles are superb.
GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA sounds good too.
And RnAM's vocals are wonderful.
Very enjoyable Listen.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki Adachi for enjoying and giving a positive comment smile My hard work has not been wasted smile Nice that you comment also the use of MIDI styles, I don't use MIDI instruments much, but orchestral instruments usually require them and with GPO they sound good, as you said.

Janne

#373779 - 11/10/16 09:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
Callie - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Thanks for posting this song Janne! I think it sounds great - not crowded at all! smile

This is our "Hot Forum Topic" for today.

#373803 - 11/10/16 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Good job Janne. This did feel like a Bond theme. An excellent vocal and very creative lyric. Well done

#373823 - 11/10/16 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Great production on this one. Beautiful mix. Loved the vocals. Awesome guitar.

smile
http://www.musicdealers.com/artist/davidsnyder
http://www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.davidsnydermusic.com

#373855 - 11/10/16 11:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Janne,

I have been known to use a lot of RTs etc and was reading the track list until I saw the guitar RTs NINE!! WOW

Well done, it must have been a labour of love to mix 37 tracks, well done. And a great mix

Great vocals by Rob and I think this song SHOULD be the next Bond theme

excellent

Alyn

#373866 - 11/11/16 04:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Rob Anne-Marie and Janne, a very interesting production. The vocals pulled the song together really well.

BIAB, RB 2017(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#373873 - 11/11/16 05:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Janne's songs are always top-notch when it comes to production and composition.
This time we had to 'pull everything out of the closet' (Dutch expression) to get it right with the vocals. A challenge indeed, but we are also pleased with the results.

Rob & Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#373881 - 11/11/16 07:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: Callie - PG Music]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Thanks for posting this song Janne! I think it sounds great - not crowded at all! smile

This is our "Hot Forum Topic" for today.

Thanks Callie, it is a big honor to be hot smile Only hearing the song during the next Bond movie end credits would be a bigger one wink

Janne

#373951 - 11/12/16 12:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
PeterF Offline
Expert

Loc: Sydney Australia
Janne, Rob & Anne-Marie

Interesting complex piece - could easily be a soundtrack - a strong progressive rock sound.
Extremely imaginative - a great composition lovely vocals to top it off.

Peter

#373959 - 11/12/16 02:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: jannesan]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Very impressive!

John
BIAB 2017
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 3

#373975 - 11/12/16 05:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: When The Curtains Fall [Re: David Snyder]
jannesan Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Good job Janne. This did feel like a Bond theme. An excellent vocal and very creative lyric. Well done

Thanks Scott for commenting and liking the lyric smile

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Great production on this one. Beautiful mix. Loved the vocals. Awesome guitar.
smile

Thanks David for mentioning positively so many things smile

Janne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2017 Patch Update Available! (Build 8)

Attention RealBand 2017 users - the latest patch update (build 8) is available, and can be downloaded here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2017 Build 8:
Fixed: Empty MIDI SuperTracks and Best Soloist dialogs.
Fixed: After the end of a song, it would continue to play silence if Always On MME was enabled.
Fixed: CPU meter would say "PT" during bootup.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2017 for Windows Patch Update 468 Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows users - the latest patch update (468) is available, and can be downloaded here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2017 Build 468:
Fixed: Various popup dialogs (eg editing volume on mixer) might appear partially off screen.
Fixed: Setting "Audio Master (Base) Tempo" does not take effect until reloading the song.
Fixed: If importing audio while launching the Audio Chord Wizard, the wrong audio master tempo is set, causing the audio track to never be in sync with the style.
Fixed: Dragging to the WAV quadrant of the drop station would ignore the "Drag Master as separate tracks" setting.
Fixed: The [Edit Soloist] and [Edit Melody] buttons in the Event List Editor dialog did not work.
Fixed: Disabling "Draw interpolation" would cause random lines between sample points in the Audio Edit window.
Fixed: If a THRU harmony is selected, then Band-in-a-Box would freeze when soloing the Soloist or Thru tracks.
Fixed: Changing the color setting for "Window background" in the Audio Edit window had no effect.
Fixed: Hitting [Cancel] in the Audio Edit Settings dialog would cause a random zoom to occur.
Fixed: The [Sample] button in the Audio Edit window would zoom in to the far left of the screen, rather than to the cursor.
Fixed: If opening a song that was saved in the Mac version, a random character would be inserted at the beginning of these lead sheet fields: "Style", "Tempo", "Copyright", "Composer", and "Composer2".
Fixed: When exporting a video of the chord sheet, the the resulting video might be cropped.
Fixed: The drop station would take a few seconds to respond during the first attempt to drag and drop.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Tutorial VHS - #TBT

WOW - Look at what we came across! The Inside Band-in-a-Box Instructional Video Series for Band-in-a-Box Version 7!

Take a look...

These covered so many different topics... we needed 2 VHS tapes! From the basics of entering a song, chords, transposing, notation, recording a melody, etc. to advanced features like working with harmonies, secrets to the StyleMaker, drum patters, recording patterns and more, these videos were a hit!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools

Are you a Pro Tools user? Have you seen our video, Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools?

Watch it now to learn how the powerful combination of Band-in-a-Box® and Pro Tools can boost your music creativity: Video - Using Band-in-a-Box to Supercharge Pro Tools

YouTube Find - My First Backing Track, First YouTube Video

We love that YouTube user Rick Mccann posted a video playing along with his first backing track using Band-in-a-Box!

Watch - First YouTube Video

What a great job - hopefully we see more from Rick!

User Tip - Differences Between the 'Regular' and Audiophile Version... #TipTuesday

Long time program user and forum member Matt Finley had shared his tip regarding the Audiophile version of Band-in-a-Box earlier this year, and it's still valid today!

If you've ever wondered what the difference between the 'regular version' of Band-in-a-Box and the Audiophile version, make sure you read through his forum post: Tip: differences between the 'regular' and audiophile version - it's well written, and always great to hear about the program from fellow users!

The Audiophile Version includes the entire contents of the EverythingPAK and adds the uncompressed WAV or AIFF files for all the included RealTracks & RealDrums! Learn more about the Audiophile version: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.audiophile.htm

Band-in-a-Box® User Feedback - Wow!

There are so many ways to get in touch with people these days... phone, email, social networking, etc.... so of course we hear more feedback from program users these days!
...and here's what they're saying:

"I discovered Band in a Box about a year ago. I hesitated several times before purchasing it as I couldn't quite believe it was going to be as good as the hype. I eventually relented and I can honestly say, it's an incredible program and does some amazing things. As a songwriter, it's an indispensable tool and I can't imagine not having it."
-Vince C.

"I bought the first band in a box for my Atari 1040 ST and I used it for at least 10 years before upgrading to a Windows computer. After real drums, and then real tracks, came out I have upgraded every December since. The program is absolutely inspired and inspirational."
-Kirk O.

"Not everyone can find or afford real musicians to assist them when writing songs - and if working from home, as many songwriters do, there might not be room for them. Band In A Box does the next best thing and takes recordings of real musicians performing, then makes the material available pretty much in real time, in a form that adapts to your own composition by following the chord sequences. Hard to explain simply, but fairly amazing in practice."
-Steve C.

"Great tool for musicians - and the drummer keeps a steady beat!!"
-Maurice A.

"Great for learning new songs. I was weak on country rock songs and with the combination of using Riffstation and BIAB I am able to creat my own backup track for live performance and practicing songs with easier chording... Thanks PG!"
-Laurent C.

"I have it since 2001, use it all the time, great program!"
-John F.

"Thank you Band in a Box. I am a songwriter, and don't play several instruments, so I love being able to wear 2 hats and write and produce, and then later record vocals... You have probably saved me months/years on my project. Excellent tool. Thanks again!"
-Randy A.

"Didn't think I would ever go down that road but got roped into it by another muso friend, bought it and now loving it!"
-Fred P.

Let us know what you think! Post a review on our Band-in-a-Box Comments page, visit our Facebook page, or contact us directly.

Forum Stats
26499 Members
50 Forums
47937 Topics
391335 Posts

Max Online: 2283 @ 08/25/16 03:52 PM
Newest Members
Tito Navarro, austin logan, Ricoherrera, jim graves, markmick

26499 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 186
VideoTrack 167