Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
V
vcp Offline OP
OP Offline
V
When I first installed BIAB 2011 on a new laptop that had Norton Anti-Virus (NAV) on it, NAV automatically quarantined the files and it was a hassle to get them back and turn off NAV. For someone who just wanted to start figuring out BIAB (A big enough challenge! ;-)), this was a huge distraction.

Others commented that they've had less-than ideal experiences with NAV (I'm being kind to NAV), so thought I'd start this thread to caution others.

And also to get feedback on what anti-virus software does seem to work well with BIAB. (Or maybe you turn it off whenever using BIAB?)

Anyway, I've used Avast (Free version) for years and it has been relatively painless. (Although I only used it with a 2006 version of BIAB - once I get my laptop situation resolved, I'll try Avast with BIAB 2011)

R
Expert
Expert
R
I use the Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Seems to be fine here and has even caught a few viruses. It is more than anti-virus. Check Microsoft's web site for more. The default settings of scanning all file activity can be a nuisance when installing a big set of RealTracks but after they are there, no problem. This can be turned off if you're comfortable with it.

For gigs, I always disable my network adapters and MSE. I don't want the laptop to hiccup.

R

Veteran
Veteran
I like this Microsoft product, too. I've been using only that for the last four months, plus after-the-fact scans by Malwarebytes.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I like this Microsoft product, too. I've been using only that for the last four months, plus after-the-fact scans by Malwarebytes.

Me Too.

This is exactly what I have been doing for the last 6 months or so.

Thus far Malwarebytes have found nothing, indicating that MS Essentials is working. Note that Essentials have stopped a couple of emails do to virus/malware infections. It does work.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Journeyman
Journeyman
I think malwarebytes might be the best of them, actually. When my paid subscription runs out with AVG, I may upgrade my free version of malwarebytes. It consistantly catches the REAL tough ones that get by even AVG. I don't pick up many viruses as I only really frequent forums and typical online retailers- the big ones which are fine. But every so often I have a problem and it's always malwarebytes that truly rids the system of the virus. If you have the free version of it, I highly recommend you keep it up to date frequently. It may be your best life line when trouble strikes. AVG and malwarebytes never get in my way or give me a problem even if they're running in the background, while using biab, or running it. And that includes DL'ing biab or any audio siftware. It's probably a good idea to pause VP while you install or DL anything too. There's some things you can do when you're talking an audio computer-

- Never connect it to the internet. Many feel this is the best thing to do, bringing in updates and renewals in via cd. Your computer will remain very fast, longer. Virus protection is good and all, but it slows down everything and will certainly be a major player in longer start-up times. I happen to like my audio pc's online, so I deal with the inconvenience and risk.

- If your audio pc IS online, pull the cable and turn virus protection off while you're working on audio.

- Always keep java and WMP up to date. Accept the updates when they come in. Back door viruses LOVE to get through security holes in those applications.

- Get a Mac and not worry about such things in the first place. MANY will suggest that. I can't afford a darn Mac, but I hear they're not totally free of problems- just a ton less of them.

To all of us- I wish us well. May we never get screwed while minding our own business. We just want to make some music man. Harmless enough, I think!

PS- When you're uninstalling virus protection, investigate how to FULLY uninstall it. For instance, Macfee does not fully uninstall just by doing the regular routine of uninstalling the software. I had to DL a file which really wiped it out, if I remember correctly. It may very well be the same with Norton. You uninstall the stuff like you usually do and then amazingly, it continues to nag you like crazy. That's why most of the software is really like an imbedded virus unto itself. So just investigate at the appropriate forums how to fully uninstall the virus protection you're currently using. It will probably surprise you.

Dan

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, Norton actually puts out the Norton Removal Tool to make sure you can remove their product..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
I'll chime in and say that the last time I did a clean install on my music computer I put Microsoft Essentials on and it has worked well. It is free. I've used McAfees and Norton and had trouble with both. Of the two Norton was the bigest nightmare. It seemed it appointed itself "the decider" and wouldn't let me over ride stuff even when I went in and shut down most of the functionality. The only real conflict that I had between Norton and BIAB was on installations of updates and it really wasn't that bad. Apparently when you go to install somethint new, Norton calls home and checks to see how many installs of that file have been done by othe people and it warns you not to install the patch because you are one of the first people to run it. It was easy just to tell it to go ahead and install but it makes you wait while it does the check and then makes you dedice to ignore the software's advice.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote: I can't afford a darn Mac, but I hear they're not totally free of problems- just a ton less of them.

I run a mac and pc daily. A ton less than my pc is an understatement. But pc's are all different. As far as affordable macs, have you taken a look at gainsaver.com or one of the many other referb sites. My last three macs have been from gainsaver and never a hiccup. My last was a G5 dualie 2.Ghz. Eventually it won't be able to get on line when this version of my browser gets too old. But for audio it's all I'll ever need. It was around 700. Buy them stripped down and add the hard ware yourself it's cheaper and not hard to install. As a daily user of both [my pc is XP32 soon to become 64]I can tell you that they are constantly dumming down macs in the hardware department to make them more affordable. They even resorted to plastic for a while but I took this G5 to a gig as a back up for Biab and the pc they as are both still flakey as hell [ audio phile version] that mac weighs a lot more than 40 lbs. And the entire case is 3/16 aluminum but it feels like its steel. But the thing is even tho the engineering is still better in the case and` install stuff' environment, the real difference is in the opperating system. This is based on my experience with XP and os X. X and all the previous OS's are way faster in the work flow dept. Pc ethos seems to be why use one mouse click when three will do. In a word it's a lugubrious lump of dumb dos code. It irritates me daily. Unfortunately the audiophile version only runs on intell macs. Mine is the last of the motorola processors. I always ran Biab on macs till 2008. Below is from the gainsaver site. If it was me I'd go for something with the intel processors these days. Unless you just want trouble free audio forever and no internet on these after a few years.

Apple iMac - G5 - 17' 1.6 GHz - Apple Computer M9248LL/A
$219.10 used - GainSaver
Apple Power Mac - G5 - 1.80 GHz - Apple Computer M9031LL/A
$314.10 used - GainSaver
Apple M8570 Power Mac G4 Dual 867 MHz CPU 640MB Ram
$282 used - 5 stores

Ron

`15 Audiophile, Toshiba17", 3Mhz, 4gig ram, 500gig HD, Win7, Tascam 122mkII interface, Tascam 16 track 8 buss recording mixer, 2 Avalon747sps,CAD VX2 mic, AKG C1000s, mac and Digital Performer.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have McAfee and it runs fine, but I just got hit again with another "fake AntiVirus" that took out my machine. This happens over and over again. This PC is a Core2Duo, 2gb RAM, Good Graphics card and Soundcard. Nice and speedy with XPSP3. McAfee runs well, but doesn't catch this stuff.

My other PC, which is much slower with only 1gb RAM, shared with everything uses PCTools and has NEVER been infected with anything. Runs like a top.

I bring PcTools over to my better Core2Duo PC and it slows the machine down to a crawl. I have no idea why it won't work on my good PC.

Also McAfee has the worst TechSupport. After my McAfee runs out I'm going with MSE . I did the OneCare Program when it was out and it was Great! Caught everything and never slowed it down. I figure Microsoft must know Windows.

Wayne, (just back from another reformat and install)

Journeyman
Journeyman
The fake antivirus will wipe out a pc. Literally wipe it out. Unless you're a pc doctor, you need to bring it to one for a clean install or you'll never get rid of it. And then you need to stay away from any site you suspect you got it from. WAY AWAY!

Dan

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Dan,
Right you are. I've been hit a few times with Fake-AntiVirus and I don't know where I get them.
Yes they completely knock out my system. As soon as it happens, nothing works.

This last time was the strangest.
I was not on the Internet browsing. My Computer was connected though, DSL, no browser was open. We use our PC for entertainment, Netflix DVDs and streaming. We popped in a DVD and we were about 30 minutes into the movie and BAMM, up pops the dreaded fake Alert Message and it was all over.
Every other time I was browsing online and when it happens everything just goes nuts. It never happenned like this before.
It was like a time bomb. This delayed attack was a shocker!
I do a full scan every night while I sleep and of course McAfee finds my system clean. But McAfee has NEVER stopped an attack. It has notified me and that I was infected. What a waste.
Wayne,

Veteran
Veteran
Will Microsoft Sec. Essentials co-exist with other anti-virus programs? I presently have Kapersky anti-virus. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
R
Expert
Expert
R
I see no reason to run more than one AV program at a time. I've heard this is not a good idea - whether technical or marketing I don't know. MSE has been out for a while and most here seem to have no problem with it either. In fact, it was just upgraded to V2. Using MSE with a spyware scanner like Malwarebytes is my choice. Like Matt, MSE has not let anything through on my machines according to Malwarebytes scans.

R

Journeyman
Journeyman
Anybody using Spybot S&D?
It used to be very popular.
I need something to scan along with McAfee.

I used Malwarebytes a long time ago and I mucked up my system with it. XPSP3, I'm a little afraid of using it again. I also used AdAware years ago.

Any Spybot S&D users?

Wayne,

Veteran
Veteran
Spybot Search & Destroy (SSD) has some advanced tools that are good for the advanced user. (It lets you get at programs that start with Windows--and stop them, if you want--in a way that Windows sometimes doesn't.) It's a pretty good scanner. I have used it for years and have it installed on all of my PCs.

SuperAntiSpyware (SAS, also free) does a better job at its core task of removing malware. It also has a little-known tool. At the lower left of its main window there is a link which, when clicked, will tell you all the programs you have installed along with security ratings of each.

HTH,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks Richard, I'm going to check SuperAntiSpyware out.
Wayne,

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I have been using Norton Internet Security for the past 6 weeks, and I'm glad to say that it has not caused any problems with Band-in-a-Box.

I purchased this Toshiba laptop with i5 processor recently to support my new BB 2011. The Norton limited trial was installed. I have installed BB from the hard drive and have installed updates from the web site twice without interference from Norton. So, maybe the problem people were having with Norton Anti-Virus has been resolved.

Now that the Nortor trial period is over I am crossing my fingers as I install McAfee Total Protection 2011. (I chose McAfee because I could get three licences almost for free after mail-in rebates.)

My old computer, where I first installed BB 2011, had last year's version of McAfee, and also had no conflicts with BB.

Had I seen this discussion sooner, I may have tried Microsoft Security Essentials.

N
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
N
I use AVG Internet Security and have no problems with anything I run.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195