Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#102818 - 01/21/11 11:34 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] C:bb\pgshortc.txt
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
How do I get this file? I would like to enter a chord such as CdimMaj7, instead of B/C. The chord builder dosen't give me the option to do this. Later, Ray

#102819 - 01/21/11 12:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Hi Ray. It's a text file located in the main /BB folder. This is an instructional file and you can read it with Notepad or any ASCII editor.

The file you will need to edit (or create) is shortcut.txt which would also be placed in the main /BB folder.

It's very easy and surprisingly powerful to make these shortcuts for chord entry.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#102820 - 01/21/11 01:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: Matt Finley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Thanks Matt. I found the file. I made a shortcut.txt folder, now I don't know what to do with it. I'd appreciate step-by-step instructions on what I need to do now to get the chord I want. Later, Ray

#102821 - 01/21/11 01:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
BarryKJ Offline
Journeyman

I think the instructions are at the top of the pg shortcut file, with an example. The one you create uses the same format.

#102822 - 01/21/11 02:51 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: BarryKJ]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

In BIAB, how do I access the chord I've put in the shortcut file? Thanks for your answers. Later, Ray

#102823 - 01/21/11 04:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
If you called the chord Abdim7 and the shortcut is qq, on the chord sheet you type qq right?

#102824 - 01/21/11 04:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: John Conley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

In the shortcut.txt file the chord is CdimMaj7. How do I get it to appear on the BIAB chord sheet. There must be another another step to connect it to the program. Later, Ray

#102825 - 01/21/11 05:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
allis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Ray. You have to add a line at the end of the pgshortc.txt and then save it. After that, you have to start BiaB again, and if you have entered a legal shortcut, it will handle some of the typing for you.

For example, in my 2010 installation, I just added

99@7b9

(on a line by itself). Whenever I type "99" the program will substitute "7b9" for it; "C99" gives me a result in the chordsheet of "C7b9", and it does work OK. I think program updates over-write changes to that shortcut file and make it necessary to do it all again each time. If you make a complex one, better keep a copy somewhere, in case I'm not wrong.

The first part of the pgshortc.txt file explains its use, but it took me a few times through before I grasped it. You can't do things that are against BiaB convention. I get the impression BiaB wants nothing to do with a dimMaj7 chord, no matter what you try. I'm probably wrong about that, too. Let us know how you make out with it.

Edited by allis (01/21/11 05:42 PM)

#102826 - 01/21/11 07:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: allis]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Thank you allis. I'm still not clear on a couple of things, but like you did I'll keep on trying. Later, Ray

#102827 - 01/21/11 07:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
allis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
You may be trying to get it to do something impossible.

I have yet to enter that CdimMaj7 chord successfully. I can't type it in, and it won't enter into the Chord Builder. If BiaB won't accept a certain chord, then you won't be able to get it to enter with a shortcut or any other way.

But maybe you know a spelling that works. If so, make sure you enter it that same way into the shortcut text file. If you get it wrong there, it just rudely ignores the shortcut without explanation, the same way it acts if you make a typo during entry.

#102828 - 01/22/11 01:01 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: allis]
Bob Roetker Online   happy
Expert

Loc: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Ray, I think BIAB doesn't recognize that chord. Try this in shortcut.txt for a Maj 9 shortcut - type "j9@maj9". Enter it on a new line without the semi colon and no quote marks and save it. Then open BIAB and see if entering CJ9 gives you a C Maj9. Then you will know if it is working properly.
www.cdbaby.com/Artist/BobRoetker
www.youtube.com/broetker

#102829 - 01/22/11 01:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: Bob Roetker]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I was away, and everyone has admirably carried on this thread correctly.

To reiterate, BIAB cannot create by shortcut a chord type it does not support.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile; [& 2017 Mac]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#102830 - 01/22/11 02:40 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: Matt Finley]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Thanks to all. Hopefully this chord (XdimMaj7), will be included soon. Later, Ray

#102831 - 01/22/11 03:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Hopefully this chord (XdimMaj7), will be included soon.

Likely not before BB distinguishes between Xdim and Xdim7. Otherwise XdimMaj7 will likely make the BB engine stall.

Could well be another decade or two ...

#102832 - 01/23/11 11:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: C:bb\pgshortc.txt [Re: raymb1]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
A workaround:

If, for example, you need a CdimMaj7, spelled in closed form from bottom to top, C,Eb,Gb,B:

Try a B/C, which spelled the same way would invoke at least C,B,Eb,Gb (with the flats being enharmonics actually but sound is the same).

If you really want a CdimMaj7 with the Cdim "all the way" you would need to add an A in there.

Try B7/C

As always with a chord workaround of this nature and the BB styles engine, you may find that some styles pick better inversions for the intended purpose than others. Open chorded styles will likely be the "easier" ones to please in this regard.

HTH,

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

Forum Stats
27131 Members
49 Forums
50318 Topics
412944 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Literary Mayhem, Jknadler61, Stephanus L, thatsastrat, Michael R. Boyce

27130 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 253